Canopy

f1steveuk

Re: Canopy

Post by f1steveuk »

The first time I ever saw the original flat windscreen, and the curved spalsh shieds, and a few other bits of historic perspex, it was in Leo's back garden, with cucumbers underneath, bless him!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
klingon

Post by klingon »

Wunner if he could make me a Messerschmitt bubble then? :)
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Moonie

Cockpit Canopy

Post by Moonie »

Hi all,

I have been a member on here for some time and have watched the rebuild coming along from the very early days. My I first say what an excellent job the team are making of the rebuild and I can’t wait to see Bluebird back on the water in the near future!

I am more of a reader than a writer however, after searching the forum I can’t find the answer to something I have been wondering for a while....

Was the blown canopy a "one off" item specially made for K7 or was it a production canopy (from an aeroplane) adapted to fit K7?

I presume the original canopy was completely destroyed during the accident and even with all the skill and knowledge of the BBP team would be somewhat beyond repair if was recovered!

How are the team going to reproduce the canopy and are the dimensions available for accurate reproduction?

Threads merged- Mike
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I believe only one single piece of canopy was ever found, and none of the latching mechanism at all- Bill?
Yes, we only got a small piece, about 6 inches square, Donald was lying on it. We therefore know the material and the thickness but the rest has to be blasted into a million bits all over the impact site. It's a shame because even the broken bits would yield clues. We've just spent the best part of two days researching, arguing about and finally deciding the outcome of a 10mm wide slither of tin at the top of the air intakes. Now just imagine how many 10mm discrepancies we have to deal with. Oh for a good look around that canopy before he broke it!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
StewDurham

Post by StewDurham »

Being nosey - How's this one going? has the Canopy been made yet?
Good luck to the BBP team, makes me proud to be British (and a North-easterner to boot!). Damn fine work, chaps!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We have the job in hand - we just need to fit the inlet throat so we can make a tool from it to have the work done on the canopy tooling itself. Considering that the duct and formers should make it to the paint shop this coming week we're not far away.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
StewDurham

Post by StewDurham »

Renegadenemo wrote:
We have the job in hand - we just need to fit the inlet throat so we can make a tool from it to have the work done on the canopy tooling itself. Considering that the duct and formers should make it to the paint shop this coming week we're not far away.
Cool - would be great if you can get the folks making it fou you to do some piccies for us avid followers of how they make it! Keep us fed! Stew.
Good luck to the BBP team, makes me proud to be British (and a North-easterner to boot!). Damn fine work, chaps!