Quicksilver

Renegadenemo

Re: Quicksilver

Post by Renegadenemo »

Tell me I look like Ken Dodd and you can build your own blue boat!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Perhaps Quicksilver could be the next project for BBP once K7 is nestled snuggly up in Coniston? ;)

I understand that Quicksilver is going down the corporate route to secure funding, fair enough but you get the impression that its sooooooooo different from what the BBP have achieved, not least because the BBP team have actually been getting their hands dirty and grafting! Kind of get the vibe that it doesnt work like that over in camp Quicksilver.

It is a shame, not only because the Quicksilver saga has been dragging on for about 100 years and does it also have a negative impact regarding the credibility of other potential British contenders for the WSR? Having said that, our American and Australian Cousins have gone a bit quiet on the WSR front of late so perhaps its just reflective of the current state of the world. Chris
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'm always reluctant to say anything negative about anyone's project because running something like this is such a monumental and often soul destroying task. 99% of it is never seen by those who follow from a distance and it takes a huge toll but for the life of me I can't see what the QS lot do from day to day. Are they building a boat or are they not? One man working on his own could have finished it by now. It's such a shame.

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Renegadenemo wrote:Tell me I look like Ken Dodd and you can build your own blue boat!
Being likened to Ken Dodd is a compliment surely..? After all, he is one this country's greatest comedians :|

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Can't imagine that's what any comparison would rely upon...

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Mike Bull wrote:As Mr Warby himself has just pointed out over on the SRG, it's now a full year since the last update on Nigel's website!!! :roll:
In my view, either he has been working frantically behind the scenes in order to suddenly reveal the completed boat to the world and simultaneously confound his critics......... or significant sponsorship has finally dried up and the project is dead. Unfortunately, the latter seems more likely to me, given that nothing apart from a model has actually got wet in the last 10 years. I think it's a tragic waste of resources and a poor reflection of the undoubted talent, vision and ambitions of many of those involved with QS from the start. I am also saddened that the UK cannot seem to mount a credible challenge to the WWSR record of some 31 years' standing. Mind you, Russ Wicks has gone very quiet too......

thewrightstuff

Post by thewrightstuff »

Fast Ken has been posting on SRG again re Nigel
:mrgreen:
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

STOP PRESS!!! UPDATE ON QUICKSILVER WEBSITE!

Bit like busses, nothing for ages then loads at once, except it looks like stuff has been added retrospectively...Still, good to get some updates! :D
thewrightstuff

Post by thewrightstuff »

Mike Bull wrote:Literally an apparent year's worth of updates in one go? All text with not a single photo? On the same day he goes bankrupt?!

Fishy.
He was declared Bankrupt in March "Date of Bankruptcy Order—10 March 2009. Whether Debtor's or Creditor's Petition—Debtor’s. Official Receiver—The Frontage, 4th Floor, Queen Street, Nottingham, NG1 2BL. "

It may be that it will impact on Quicksilver WSR BUT his bankruptcy according to the order on the link you provided was in connection with Macknight International. A quick search on the internet reveals this to be the company that published books written by Mr. Macknight .
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

The updates are encouraging but the complete absence of any photograhic material in the last 14 months of updates is unfortunate.

I would love to see this, a British boat, attempt the WWSR, but my perception is that the project has lost most of its credibility and one of the major factors is the lack of coherent progress reporting from the project.

I would like to think that the Quicksilver team have been quietly beavering away in secret in the background and will suddenly announce the completion of the boat :|