The Sponsons Thread

Renegadenemo

Re: The Sponsons Thread

Post by Renegadenemo »

That's a distance from "men in sheds" isn't it!!??
The shoes and wedges represent about 60 hours on the most amazing machining centre. We reckon the men in sheds would have literally spent months on this work.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

The mental picture of an "old boy" in a shed, with a six foot billet of ali', armed with a knackered Black and Decker, a Dremmel and a selection of hand files, British Engineering!!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

f1steveuk wrote:The mental picture of an "old boy" in a shed, with a six foot billet of ali', armed with a knackered Black and Decker, a Dremmel and a selection of hand files, British Engineering!!
A couple of years ago I was nattering with a mate about woodwork and using a router freehand. His response was "Try doing it with billet ali! That's one to sort the men from the boys!". It turned out he once made a pair of rearsets for one of his bikes with a Bosch router. Had it been anyone else I probably would've refused to believe it.

Back to the sexy great slab of material in the picture (or what's left of it)...

Something I did notice straight away were these;
Wedge%20with%20lightening%20holes.jpg
I'm guessing they're to be tapped and used as attachment points (?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I assume you mean the holes. A very small proportion of them are for fixing. Most of them are to get weight off the item. There's 450 lightening holes in each wedge and the outside wall is only 3/32" thick.
It's also worth noting that we have the rear wedge made by a man in a shed yet the quality is easily as good as what you see on the new sponson wedges. It's just that it must have taken an age to mill it out by hand.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

The thing that made the ones I circled jump out at me is that they've all been counter-bored by a couple of mm. It's something I'm used to seeing in ali engines when high-tensile fasteners are used (namely head/barrel studs and bolts), to maintain a flat mating surface when you get the inevitable bit of 'pull' and deformation around the top of the thread.

I didn't realise the old girl is getting a full set of new shoes. I take it the rear wedge was another part to pay the price for the Hopelessly Lackadaisical Foundation and their "experts".
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I didn't realise the old girl is getting a full set of new shoes. I take it the rear wedge was another part to pay the price for the Hopelessly Lackadaisical Foundation and their "experts".
Not at all, the rear wedge was buried in mud about a metre under and it's immaculate but the sponson wedges went the same way as the sponsons so they've been replaced.

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker »

Renegadenemo wrote:
That's a distance from "men in sheds" isn't it!!??
The shoes and wedges represent about 60 hours on the most amazing machining centre. We reckon the men in sheds would have literally spent months on this work.
There was a hierarchy in the aerospace machine shops of old. Right up there at the top were the masters of the jig-borer, and king amongst those were the ones with the skill known as "putter onner" i.e. those with the supposed ability to put on metal rather than take it off. Alas like Bluebird, these people are the product of a bygone generation. We can all be misty eyed, or we can celebrate the achievements of the past alongside the marvels of today and be happy with our lot!

S

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Personally, I think it shows tremendous progress that a dusty, old drawing from 1954 can now be whisked into a computer model and used to control a machine that makes exactly the same planing wedge that the Norris boys envisaged way back in the day. Ken would have loved all this...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Another shot of one of the wedges with a palette in the background for scale.

So far I can still comfortably lift a whole sponson single-handedly. (tried yesterday and thought it had put on a lot of weight until I realised it was clamped down) Let's see if it's still possible with one of these things bolted underneath.
Wedge with Pallette.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

You'll be needing three Weetabix for that lift ........

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't