The Sponsons Thread

dave

The Sponsons Thread

Post by dave »

sponsons header.jpg
When Bluebird crashed at Coniston Water, her sponsons were recovered floating on the waters surface, and taken ashore. I have heard that new sponsons are to be made.

Question:-
1) Does the existing one's still exist?

2) Have they been damaged beyond practical repair?

3) Have they been lost?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renegadenemo

Re: Lakeland Motor Museum/'Across The Lake' Mock Up/Sponsons

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'd go with,

1. No

2. No

3. Scrapped
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Oh ye of little faith ;)
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Oh ye of little faith
Novie
You find 'em and I'll bolt 'em back on...

lsrdatabase

Re: Bluebirds Sponsons, 'Where are they now?'

Post by lsrdatabase »

Hi Dave and everyone,

This subject keeps cropping up and I feel it is about time it was put to bed for good.

I know I will not be popular with what I am going to say but, I've got broad shoulders that over the past few years, have had to deal with rather a lot of the brown stuff. (like you sometimes find on the soul of your shoe).

I know where the sponsons went and why. I have known for some years, but comparatively recent, it came to my knowledge that Ken, far from wanting them found and re-use,

DID NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN.

In actual fact it is uncertain as to whether Ken even wanted K7 raised or rebuilt.

I have stayed quiet, and have even tried to kill off this subject several times. Now however I must speak out, and dam the consequences. I have spoken to an acquaintance of mine who was close to the Bluebird K7 project, back in 1960's.

It soon became clear that Ken didn't want the sponsons found, and if anyone was to go looking for them, it would upset the Norris family greatly, and they would also meet with great opposition.

I'm sorry if this has upset people, as that was not my intention. It may have even posed more questions than answer’s given for which I am also sorry. This is my final comment on the "where are they" question, and I shall not reply to any further comments.

May I wish everyone a very happy Christmas, and may 2011 bring us the news of that Big Blue Boat, that we are all waiting for.

Regards to all, Fred and Mrs Fred

'I'm just the bloke, that won't go away!'
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Ken was thrilled to be working on his machine again after so many years and after his upset with the Quicksilver affair it was noted by many that he went into a decline that was only arrested and reversed for a time by having his beloved K7 back within his grasp.
For a man who wanted nothing to do with it he certainly spent long enough helping me with advice and drawings and, after his death, his family have continued to help, so... if I can convince the Norris family to sanction the release of the most secret of intelligence to which you allude, will you tell us where the sponsons went? Or are we being subjected to another splattering of the old male, bovine excrement?

Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Although as Bill knows I am the first not to believe the scrapped or buried lost forever theories that have been around for years. Which I have good reason for, however I am amazed to learn here today that Ken Norris the man whom wanted to have K7 raised back in 1967 did not want anything to do with the fantastic job that is now being done to rebuild this Iconic craft. Not only in honour of a Great man but also the men that designed and built Bluebird K7. Anybody sitting on such items or there whereabouts are a disgrace to the name of Donald Campbell, Leo Villa,Lewis Norris and Ken Norris and what they achieved.

Novie
I'LL Be Back
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Hi Mike
Very Mean Spirited Indeed!! I will say one thing that I can say with absolute certainty is that Lewis Norris was a little unsure at first when the boat was raised. However he came around in the end after he saw the excellent workmanship,dedication,commitment and the Passion to rebuild the craft both he and his Brother Ken had designed. Sadly he had left it to late to reunite the sponsons with K7 as he carried out a final search towards the end of his life but as I said it came to late for him to follow up fully as he sadly became to ill. I think it was also the above and the final wishes of his brother Ken announced by Kens Son at his Memorial evening that Kens last dying wish was to see Bluebird K7 rebuilt and all donations received that evening at Beaulie Motor Museum were to be donated to the Bluebird Fund. Two Truely great men that also will never be forgotten for what they gave to this world. Regardless whether or not the sponsons are reunited with K7 she will once again live and breath fire as she was intended to do so because of a Geordie lad with great vision and skill. And in true Campbell tradition " Once you have started something there is no going back in Life" She will run again under her own power.

Novie
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Bloody hell, still????

Trashed into a hole, no conspirancy there, the only question is which hole and where!! (as the actress etc etc etc)
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Trashed into a hole, no conspirancy there
Who would throw so much valuable scrap metal in a hole, and why?