The Sponsons Thread

Mike Bull

Re: The Sponsons Thread

Post by Mike Bull » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:34 am

Yeah it's a tremendous look at our heating controls, electricity meters and the area where the canopy will go- I'm very proud of it. :lol: ;)
'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Never mind all that, look at how straight those cockpit rails are. A work of art.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:26 pm

A lovely scenery shot indeed Mike of ongoing work appropriate to this thread :D A fantastic job. On another matter as i do from time to time in the shop or at the Museum I pointed a Bluebird/D.C enthusiast in the direction of the project website today. It still amazes me that people - one-still don't know the boat has been raised and two K7 is infact undergoing conserveering and will infact run once again! On learning this they find this to be excellent news and after explaining the story from 2001 onwards until we sacked the Hapless L Failure lot in 2006. They all can't believe we didn't get the money for such an iconic craft then I give them the current position of the rebuild explaining along the way the pain staking attention to detail and the labour of love being bestowed on returning every piece of original fabric to the craft by committed volunteers. Hopefully my time is not wasted on these people and they will visit the site and donate or by a shirt to support the cause or even join the forum. Only time will tell I guess.
Novie
I've Gone
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:02 am

This could just as easily go in the 'Pic Of The Day' thread, but as it's sponson related...

See the two bolts and the row of rivets along the top back edge of the right sponson here?
00.jpg
-well that's where the subject of todays' POTD was torn from-
Home-s.jpg
Also of interest is the jagged remains of the end cap- it of course lines up perfectly with what we have in the workshop- very spooky! :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:57 am

What truly amazes me is that not only were all the pieces of this massive jigsaw puzzle retrieved over several visits from many locations at the bottom of Coniston Water but that even the smallest bits have been identified and in most cases, put back in place - even though many were crushed and crumpled like tin foil. Absolutely awesome!

When you come to a fork in the road, take it

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:29 am

What amazes me is I keep looking at the sponson tops and thinking, what a mess, how are we going to mend these? Then realising that the cockpit rails were a hundred times worse so how and when did we mend those?
Crumpled Foredeck.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 pm

If we're talking about what amazes us, for me- and I've said this a couple of times in the workshop lately, and before- it's the fact that everything we see- those cockpit rails there crushed and torn apart, the sponson tops sheared off like you'd strip the leaves off a branch through your hand, the front spar whanging off and flying through the air, the whole front coming off and flat-packing itself, the whole 'toe stubbing' of the intake structure, and so on and so on...all happened in about the time it takes to snap your fingers.

:shock:

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:19 pm

There's a spooky addition to the fact that all the damage was wrought in a fraction of a second. In many instances damaged parts of the boat would spring apart as the last rivet parted releasing energy stored in the accident and kept pent-up for forty years.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:26 am

Another visit to MKW today, the wedges are almost done now. It's a poor quality phone pic but you can see that things are really taking shape.
Remember that thing is six feet long and fifteen inches wide at the back yet it's manageable single-handedly now so, considering that the billet went onto the machine by crane, you can imagine how much has landed in the swarf bin hopefully to pay for the MKW Christmas party.
wedge almost done.jpg

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 am

By the way, we've got the sponsons to a convenient point where we can show them off along with lots of pics and detail so you can build your own at home if you like. They're not a secret or anything, it's just that the story will be better presented all in one place rather than in scraps on the pic of the day. So, with that in mind, there's a big diary update in the pipeline. Won't be long.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.