Technical Talk

Renegadenemo

Re: Technical Talk

Post by Renegadenemo »

K7 doesn't have a centreline. No matter how many ways and times you measure it, it always falls in a different place. There's an area about 10mm wide down her spine that contains it but pinning it down is nigh-on impossible. There's also a stray 10mm in the inlet throats that we've never pinned down.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Well that's good news because on my drawings the nose badge is on one centreline and the fin is on another and I could never get everything in between to look right when it was along the same line :mrgreen:
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

After exhausting my photo archive, I've just been going through every bit of film footage I have from around the time. Two in particular (both raw editorial footage) are dated early '56: one looks to be the 'unveiling' of the new sliding canopy, with Donald & Leo, and the other seems to be the first outing with it fitted. There's no sign in either of any gubbins atop the intakes and, curiously, no sign of that little cover, so whatever the reason for the tube going in must have cropped up very shortly thereafter. One would assume that if there was a problem with heat build-up behind the headrest, it would have been addressed at the same time as the canopy swap, but we all know what they say about assumption. :lol:

Just another small detail among thousands that seem to raise 2 more questions for every answer...

And speaking of questions;

1) If that isn't a camera (which it clearly isn't) does anyone know what on earth it could be??

2) Could anyone venture an opinion on those three triangular brackets, as they couldn't possibly be anything to do with the camera pod?

I know various cameras were lashed on at various times to investigate how spray was getting past the baffles, so I wonder if it's all something to do with that.

Dom
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The top of the intakes is peppered with redundant holes and stiffeners on the inside. I doubt we'll ever work out what half of them were for. The tail cover is the same.
It would be interesting to know when the intakes suffered the first failure and whether the appearance of the tube is coincident with that.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Dominic Owen wrote:2) Could anyone venture an opinion on those three triangular brackets, as they couldn't possibly be anything to do with the camera pod?
I think that's just what they were for - mounting the large camera fairing. They don't appear until late 1957 on pics, and similar brackets appear on the aft hull top in late 1957, just where the temporary fin was in place earlier in the year. The brackets remain in place from then on, I guess as they were judged to be of possible use again.
DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Yeah, ignore me... I assumed the one more or less in the centre of the 'not a camera box' piccy I posted was one of the pair that show up either side of the later aerial mount was but looking again, it isn't. The two further forward at that time look to be on the canopy itself?
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

The fairing was fitted in early 58 before the trip to Belgium and France. K7 was fitted with a temporary camera in 57, which was not faired in. That is where the still image from that film came from. I would hazard a guess that the little box picture atop the intakes looks like some form of connector, probably for the camera. A camera was also fitted in 64 after the camera fairing had been removed, again as a temp feature.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
speedboatstuart

Post by speedboatstuart »

Hi regarding my last post all in capitals. I dont often use forums so had not realised that capitals meant any offence, my appologies to anyone offended , my intention was not too offend.
Richie

Re: 3" PIPE ABOVE HEAD REST IN TOP OF INTAKES

Post by Richie »

DamienB wrote:
sheppane wrote:... And this is the view you get from said camera.
Panto time - "Oh no it isn't!" :D

That little box isn't a camera - see first attached pic. And note how the cable doesn't appear to go into the fairing in question after all, but appears to dive straight through the skinning just aft of it. If it was a camera (which it clearly isn't), seeing as it's offset to starboard, the canopy handle would be offset to port in the shot.
k7-box.jpg
from a military point of view the little square box to me actually looks like a plug used on radio sets for charging the batteries with a chore horse generator the plugs are often used on the WS 19 sets... this would also explain the square hole as you can pass the small battteries through into the plenum.. they may have moved this at a later date and used the main battery tray in the bottom of the hull ?

pics to follow stand by
ImageImage

here is a WS 19 set now these were phased out with the later 22's and so on so forth look at the plug system used this didnt really change much between radio's all be it the number of pins required may have changed there is usually a link lead known as the "Dog Bone" which links the main set up with a power supply or battery supply personally i think this is what it was

A) it would keep the batteries higher up in the hull (in case of water ingress)

B) with a charging port on the outside it removes the need to pull covers off when moored up....just plug her in bit like a helicopter i suppose
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

Here's a random thought...

With a hollow cavity directly behind the headrest and a vast amount of air being gulped in on either side of it, could acoustic resonance have been a problem? If so, could the fitting of the mystery tube and the aft-facing opening on the fairing have anything to do with reducing acoustic pressure in the cavity to combat such a problem?

As I said, just a random thought...
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...