Technical Talk

sheppane

Re: Technical Talk

Post by sheppane »

Bill,

The fuel breather pipe was pointing backwards with it's intake away from the airflow, as illustrated on the attached monochrome image taken by Norman Hurst on the morning of the 4th as Bluebird is winched down the slipway, and the earlier colour images taken around the 20 - 21 November 66
PIC 376.jpg
Detail.jpg
Detail 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Neil - we knew you'd know. Just testing. :D

On slightly more serious note, it does seem to have been tried facing both ways but because it's set into a rubber grommet then attached to a rubber pipe beneath with a hose clip it maybe would've been displaced at speed by the airflow were it facing the other way. Pure speculation on my part, of course. I reckon we got that redundant antenna mount spot-on too. Pleased with that.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Renegadenemo wrote:Hi Neil - we knew you'd know. Just testing. :D

On slightly more serious note, it does seem to have been tried facing both ways but because it's set into a rubber grommet then attached to a rubber pipe beneath with a hose clip it maybe would've been displaced at speed by the airflow were it facing the other way. Pure speculation on my part, of course. I reckon we got that redundant antenna mount spot-on too. Pleased with that.
Bill, You're correct. On the 5th November, it was facing forwards. This image was taken the day of the Static test. The first of the colour pics on my earlier post was taken the day K7 went back in the water after the intake repair, two weeks later.
Detail 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I'm not so good at the chronological order thing so was that pipe there pre-Orpheus? The reason I ask is that tank pressurisation was discussed for the Orph' and I wondered if facing that pipe forwards was a small attempt at achieving this.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Renegadenemo wrote:I'm not so good at the chronological order thing so was that pipe there pre-Orpheus? The reason I ask is that tank pressurisation was discussed for the Orph' and I wondered if facing that pipe forwards was a small attempt at achieving this.
It was a feature since 1955, but not when K7 was first unveilled. I would suggest that trials quickly proved that it was required. Forward facing throughout the Beryl equipped period.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-17481466

I hope they don't build these half an inch different side for side!

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We're more or less stopped on the sponson work now until the shoes and float wedges come back from MKW so we've moved back onto systems.
Our test engine is now the right way up again and the fuel system is in a box ready to go to Barry's to have all the widgets made up so we can put the plumbing on - Stuart, you will no doubt be delighted at this long-overdue news!
Checkie made a splendid job of fitting the instrument panel and fitting and testing the igniters and Mike has installed the LP, HP and throttle control rods.
Sponsons aren't that exciting anyway...

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker »

Renegadenemo wrote:Stuart, you will no doubt be delighted at this long-overdue news!
Proper engineering ;)

S

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker »

Mike,

Some of your other readers will just think you are having a laugh with Photoshop...

Seriously though, have you thought of doing a Haynes manual a bit like the one the Vulcan chaps did? I think though that you do have to live up to the motto of "every manual based on a full strip down and rebuild"!!

S

Richie

Post by Richie »

"congratulations on your recent rescue of your damaged three point unlimited hydroplane"

Chapter 1 - emptying mud and finding nutters near and far to help out

Chapter 2 - stripping down a british icon, the do's and dont's

Chapter 3 - glueing, stitching, clanging with hammers twisted aluminium

Chapter 4 - Cornflakes and chocolate sauce and the realms of icky claaaag

Chapter 5 - so you have realised its time to sack the hapless lottery fools

Chapter 6 - Find a Barry

the book pretty much writes itself !
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."