Technical Talk

Black Knight

Re: Technical Talk

Post by Black Knight »

Vinyl seat couldn't have been much better. Once his oxygen mask was on I doubt there'd be much releasing air to mist the canopy up. It doesn't look like there was a seal around it either so maybe air flowed under the frame enough to aid demisting????
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

I've seen the yellow coloured seal around the back of the canopy but never noticed it around the front. I wonder if it ever squealed with the wind passing through it? lol
PeteManc

Post by PeteManc »

I've seen that in a few colour photos, I've always thought it looks a bit like shammy leather material.
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

So will it be going back on?
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Will all the original parts not used be displayed at the Ruskin? Seems a display case at 1 end with the old engine & everything else could be made?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Will all the original parts not used be displayed at the Ruskin? Seems a display case at 1 end with the old engine & everything else could be made?
There'd be a whole cabinet of nameless junk if we did that. Hardened o-rings, asbestos gaskets, rusted and corroded fragments. Not much has been retired but if we do retire something and it can tell a story, like the engine or the inlet skins, we put it in the museum. If it doesn't mean a lot it gets bagged and labelled and put away - its fate to be determined later.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Speedfab

Post by Speedfab »

That seems entirely too logical and reasonable... Are you sure? :mrgreen:

Progress is mindblowing, Bill. The last few months of "pic of the day" have had me sitting in amazement thinking of what you started with... My hat is off to you and everyone involved, sir. Bravo.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Progress is mindblowing, Bill. The last few months of "pic of the day" have had me sitting in amazement thinking of what you started with... My hat is off to you and everyone involved, sir. Bravo.
Thanks for the positive feedback - we always appreciate it. What you're seeing is a lot of jobs that have been years in their gestation suddenly coming together at the end and now that we're there everyone on the team has settled into their speciality and can make it look easy. Good, isn't it...

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

I wish there was more pictures, particularly the work Barry does in re-engineering the various valves & pumps. Everyone is doing an amazing job & can't wait for the finished job.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I wish there was more pictures, particularly the work Barry does in re-engineering the various valves & pumps. Everyone is doing an amazing job & can't wait for the finished job.
Barry does all the jobs that don't have a natural home and he's an extraordinary chap. He's just re-calibrated a tacho indicator for us, for example. He makes up adaptors and bespoke fittings and repairs obscure things. All the pumps have been repaired and tested by Kearsley Airways except the main engine fuel pump, which was overhauled by Aero Engine Controls. There's lots of pics in the diary archive if you want to see more.