rob565uk

Re: Technical Talk

Post by rob565uk »

Try [.]

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
PeteManc

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by PeteManc »

Black Knight wrote:Is it known if the grey underside came up under the nose & if so how far?
If you have a copy of Neil Sheppard's fantastic book, I'm pretty sure (if memory serves) that there's a nice shot in there of Bluebird's nose underside, showing where the grey stops. I haven't got it to hand at the moment, but will have a look later.
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Thanks, that's where I masked to.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Delighted to report that following a few weeks of intense effort from both the BBP team and the best brains in aerospace (they most definitely have the better ones) we now have K7's original fuel system - the very one as used on Jan 4th 67 and rebuilt by AEC (now Rolls-Royce Controls & Data) - running up her new engine. This, of course, proved as simple and straightforward as every other previous chapter in our story so it was a breeze - not!
But it's working now so we'll catch up with the updates soon as we can. Thanks for your patience.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Had an excellent day today at RAF Scampton, home of the Red Arrows. Our main engine flew with Red-1 in 1976 and as we need some help and additional facilities to complete our engine testing to full power we were allowed a look over their engine test area with a view to possibly completing our static trials there. And what an absolutely cracking bunch of boys and girls our Royal Air Force is. I felt very proud.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Our engine was mated to Bluebird's complete inlet structure this weekend. The rebuilt inlets and the new trunk. Then it was run to 65% with no trouble at at all.
Our JPT (Jet Pipe Temp) is still a little high but the compressor is scruffy with old oil and dust so we have to get it clean. Our John blew some soapy water through it while it was idling and this shone up some of the rotatives, which took about 30 degrees Celsius out of the JPT, but the stator stages are still gunged up so good old Chemetall Trevor is coming over with some proper washy-stuff next week.
We've now set up most of the fuel control system, though the acceleration control (AFRC Air/Fuel Ratio Control) still needs a tweak as it will let the JPT go out of limits if you give it a big throttle opening all of a sudden. Other than that the engine is under excellent control. Hit the start button and it spools to about 7% where it lights in three seconds, hold the starter in until you see 300 indicated on the JPT gauge then release and watch as the engine accelerates to idle (3650 RPM) in about 20 seconds. It's a violent assault on the senses that has to be experienced to be appreciated.
We can't safely go much further with the engine on its test rig as it's trying to blow the buildings down and there's the ever-present risk of FOD so once we've done a few more tweaks it'll be going into the boat where we'll carry out a few low RPM runs just to check the systems and look for leaks then she'll be tethered at Scampton's test area and released to full power in accordance with a programme put together by Adrian.
I have no doubt whatsoever that if we opened the taps tomorrow our engine would give 100% but we've been methodical thus far and listened to and followed to the letter the advice from aerospace so we'll achieve the remaining 35% in controlled steps too.
We only need 85% to get Bluebird to her planing condition so once tested to 100%, 85% will become the new 100% - if you follow - and this will keep a great deal of stress and strain out of an old engine in an old boat.
Our engine work has been a most amazing learning experience. We're basically trying to sustain a continuous, angry explosion in a pipe with nothing but pressure gradients to contain it, which is all a little different to inhaling fuel and air through an inlet valve, trapping it then setting fire to it as we're all used to. It's a bloody miracle the gas turbine was ever invented if you ask me!

ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

...once again incredible work from the team, you make it look so easy! Huge congratulations to you all
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

...once again incredible work from the team, you make it look so easy! Huge congratulations to you all
Many thanks... Making it look easy is actually a lot of hard work. If anyone had seen us learning our fuel system - considering that mating an Orph' 701 fuel system to a 101 engine had never been tried before - they'd not have thought it looked easy at all.
Sorted now, though. Bring your under-performing Orph' to us and we'll tune it up for you.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Good news - we finally signed off on our engine tonight and dropped it into the hull to be connected to its various services and systems prior to its first run as part of the machine. We were so quick with the transplant that it was still hot when we got it in there, a fact that Mike eagerly pointed out. Tonight, for the first time in half a century, K7 once again had a hot engine under her carapace...
We also thoroughly enjoyed the company of our understudy-driver, a certain Mr. Stew Campbell, who drives aeroplanes for a living and brings much expertise and experience to our ragamuffin team. Just need our Ted to teach him about boats next and we'll be well away...

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Yes, it was a very good day with some great Teamwork to achieve a satisfying end result as Mike describes above. All the basics to run the engine in the hull with control from the cockpit are now operational. Only the water brake and fire suppression systems remain to be connected.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't