Technical Talk

Renegadenemo

Re: Technical Talk

Post by Renegadenemo »

Must have been a pretty hefty job transporting/bringing them in! As a kid I remember being surprised by how big the ATL repro was, decades before learning it wasn't full size, so I get a good impression now of just how big the real K7 is.
They're heavy, cumbersome items, those sponsons. Exactly twelve feet long with planing wedges half their length. They're built precisely to the drawings and are perfect in every detail except for the use of helicoils here and there where it was simply not possible to put captive nuts into sealed voids. Oh, and the alloy plates on the front undersides are held with M6 stainless countersunk Allen screws because the quarter BSF equivalents in stainless were proving extremely difficult to source.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We had quite a landmark event yesterday. We successfully moved the boat out of the workshop into the street then put her back again as we tested and learned how to handle the moving dolly. She'll only go out on this one a handful of times then we'll build a true replica of her old launch and recovery trailer for her to sit on in the museum.
Next week we plan a full run of the engine and systems in the hull before she comes apart again so we can put her back on the rollover jig to do the floors over the winter.

Richie

Post by Richie »

Floors.... the beginning of the final push :D
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Floors.... the beginning of the final push :D
Indeed - get the floors done and the outer skins can go on and we're into the final build. Exciting times!

99hjhm

Post by 99hjhm »

Renegadenemo wrote:
Must have been a pretty hefty job transporting/bringing them in! As a kid I remember being surprised by how big the ATL repro was, decades before learning it wasn't full size, so I get a good impression now of just how big the real K7 is.
They're heavy, cumbersome items, those sponsons. Exactly twelve feet long with planing wedges half their length. They're built precisely to the drawings and are perfect in every detail except for the use of helicoils here and there where it was simply not possible to put captive nuts into sealed voids. Oh, and the alloy plates on the front undersides are held with M6 stainless countersunk Allen screws because the quarter BSF equivalents in stainless were proving extremely difficult to source.
Are they going to be there atleast until the new year? Plan on visiting the Ruskin again when up in the lakes over Christmas time.
Richie

Post by Richie »

I would imagine so.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Although this is not put on as a public entertainment we do have some space in the yard for spectators on Saturday so long as they're well behaved and take it as bad luck if they get incinerated so if you would like to attend the first running of K7 in fifty years please PM us and we'll send you the house rules. There's a chance we'll fail for a thousand technical reasons but we might get a few engine runs too...

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Hoping you vid it for those of us stuck working & living frickin miles away
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Had our first test of our experimental starter today. Having obtained a high-pressure CT0801 starter as fitted originally to the boat we dismantled it and copied aspects of its design over to new internal components for the low-pressure CT1009 starter as used on the 101 Orph'. Basically, it worked first time and halved our air consumption on startup meaning that we're finally within reach of using the on board start system for real. Great result!

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Renegadenemo wrote:Had our first test of our experimental starter today. Having obtained a high-pressure CT0801 starter as fitted originally to the boat we dismantled it and copied aspects of its design over to new internal components for the low-pressure CT1009 starter as used on the 101 Orph'. Basically, it worked first time and halved our air consumption on startup meaning that we're finally within reach of using the on board start system for real. Great result!
Sounds like a few simple words summming up a lot of very learned calculatory-engineery-trickery to me. Well done. :D
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.