Technical Talk

Renegadenemo

Re: Technical Talk

Post by Renegadenemo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Despite much effort the blue will have to be painted over but we can save the flags.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:30 pm

That's a shame, couldn't a replacement fin be sought thus leaving the fin original & put on display as a seperate item?

Will that mean a new supply of chips for sale????

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Certainly not! The fin is complete and original, so back it goes.
'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Might part with a few paint flakes from it, mind you. This crew training exercise is eating up the budget at a rate of knots. We'll see... 😉

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Black Knight

Post by Black Knight » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:30 am

Have you got everything now to complete the boat?

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:36 am

Have you got everything now to complete the boat?
The canopy and the new launch/recovery trailer are currently in-build. Otherwise we have everything. That said, the boat we'll be taking to Scotland will be a long way from finished. Mostly unpainted for a start, and with modifications for running purposes, offboard air for starting and additional bilge pumps, which of course need adequate outfalls. Everything will be bolted down and secure, no leaks (hopefully) and operational but once finished with the crew training we'll pull her apart again just to see whether anything was beginning to fail. There are one or two areas of special interest.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:35 am

Got the first draft of the canopy CAD model yesterday and it's spot-on at the first attempt so ten out of ten to our partners there. Hopefully it will soon be a program for the 5-axis router to cut the tool then vac-form the part. CAD work on the new trailer is almost complete too so we have a meeting with the fabricators next week to sign off the model before they begin cutting steel.
In the meantime, days in the workshop are either brilliant and everything just bolts together or he old bitch fights for every 32nd of an inch.
Yesterday the JPT indicator refused to work when we connected up the thermocouples - always did before so why not now? Took hours to catch and kill the gremlin but it's working now.
Then we finally filled and tested the whole hyd system in-situ and bolted up for good - well, until we come back from Scotland for the strip inspection - and it worked perfectly first time. That was until it blew a hose at the water brake end and pumped half a gallon of very expensive hyd fluid directly into the floor corrugations. never had so much fun with soapy water and a wet-vac - grrr! Moving a crimping machine into the workshop today to put new fittings on the hoses, which can't be removed then refitted because the modern day fittings won't pass under the bulkheads and we can no longer get reusable fittings as they used in the day. Nothing on this job is ever simple.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Richie

Post by Richie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:35 pm

The Hyd run up was still a success though, I was expecting a LOT more issues than we got in the end (given the sheer complexity of the widgets and various pipes and unions)

Mind, given that the hose failure let go at 1600 psi, I was surprised how well contained the mess was... emptying around 5ltrs of Hyd in less than 3 seconds.

But this is why we do what we do, rather here than out there ! once your happy to sign it off bill, I will need someone who is better than me at wire locking to go around the system and lock it all off :D

Another job off the list, then onto the next task !
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:59 pm

...and I've just become the first person to actually strap in to Bluebird since his nibs back in the day! Progress, progress...right, what's next?
'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'

Richie

Post by Richie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:43 pm

What folk don’t see (yet) is just how much kit has been packaged into the boat back in the day, although we jest at times at the “cowboy” nature of some components, in reality the guys did a cracking job making it all fit “after the fact”. I happen to know who ever fitted the Hyd system the first time around had very slim arms, (just like me) it is physically impossible to get regular sized arms in those gaps that’s for sure. :S
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !