Technical Talk

rich1608

Re: Technical Talk

Post by rich1608 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:06 pm

Engine 711 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:46 pm

@conistoncollie - Thank you. I am ex-RR - mainly Marine - so Olympus, Tyne & Spey - for various Frigates & Destroyers, UK & overseas. Only did about 30 knots, but.... they were over 5000 tonnes.....
Did you have any involvement with the RR/BS Marine Proteus engine used in the giant SR-N4 hovercraft? And of course in non-marine guise in Donald's CN7 land speed record breaker.

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:10 pm

rich1608 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:06 pm
Did you have any involvement with the RR/BS Marine Proteus engine used in the giant SR-N4 hovercraft? And of course in non-marine guise in Donald's CN7 land speed record breaker.
The Marine Proteus was still around, in my early days - I didnt work on it, but I knew people who did. Used in the SRN4 hovercraft and also in various Fast Patrol/Torpedo boats.

DMC's CN7 Proteus was I believe a modified Aero Proteus - effectively a Brittania engine, modified to drive from both ends.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:06 am

First time I went to Derby there was a Proteus in a big blue caravan like thing on the lawn with a huge cable snaking away from it. It was a generating set that supplied power to the offices. Maybe it's still there.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:11 am

Renegadenemo wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:06 am
First time I went to Derby there was a Proteus in a big blue caravan like thing on the lawn with a huge cable snaking away from it. It was a generating set that supplied power to the offices. Maybe it's still there.
There was a Mobile Industrial Proteus gen set, which was in a artic trailer - and they were originally in Bristol Siddeley Blue - which is a dark blue (probably a few shades darker than Bluebird Blue...). Not many of them left now. Used to be 2 at Ansty - but one was sold on Wylfa Nuclear Power Station - because the 4 Proteus they had (in buildings) were not enough power - they needed more. That left just one at Ansty (*), still in its trailer - but now painted RR I&M White.

Not aware of any at Derby - or any that are still active or mobile, now.

(* - The Ansty one was supposed to keep the site going, in the event of power cuts - and also in modern times, to allow power from the grid to be reduced - and save money. On one occasion when there was a power cut, right in the middle of the day,we waited and waited for the Prot to start & the lights to come back on. And we waited...... Turns out, as a money saving measure during its most recent refurb, its Black Start batteries were removed - too expensive to replace - and replaced with power from the incoming grid supply...... See he problem....? )

rich1608

Post by rich1608 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:22 am

There were permanent Proteus generators for the national grid as well https://youtu.be/-kzvfXTpwUs
One of them has been preserved at the Museum of Internal Fire in Wales https://youtu.be/JAuTkPj-LG0

midlife

Post by midlife » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:34 pm

Being a current RR employee, I had to read the post out abut the Ansty generator, there are people in the office rolling round with tears in their eyes, strangely enough no one was surprised👍
Cheers
Wayne

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:46 pm

rich1608 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:22 am
There were permanent Proteus generators for the national grid as well https://youtu.be/-kzvfXTpwUs
One of them has been preserved at the Museum of Internal Fire in Wales https://youtu.be/JAuTkPj-LG0
Indeed so - the very 1st being on Dartmoor - as in the first YouTube clip.

Believe Prot's were installed as back up power at a number of 'Atomic' power stations - certainly Wylfa had them (designed to have 4, in buildings - 5th ex-mobile added), maybe others....? Way before my time.... ;)

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:50 pm

midlife wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:34 pm
Being a current RR employee, I had to read the post out abut the Ansty generator, there are people in the office rolling round with tears in their eyes, strangely enough no one was surprised👍
Cheers
Wayne
The time I recall, was around the late 90's....? The Ansty set had had a major refurb, on the back of refurbing the Wylfa sets (the Ansty moby was the guinea pig...). I worked with Paul (B) who organised most of the work. When the lights went, we looked at Paul - 'It'll start in a couple of minutes...' he said, not very confidently..... Lols.

To be fair, there were 2 independent grid feeds - and the Prot electric start could access either of them. The plan was that both supplies would never go down together. Err.. right... :shock:

The Ansty site is still there - wonder if the Prot is too....?

midlife

Post by midlife » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:33 pm

I can’t help it, I just recoil in horror when anyone builds a massive building right in the middle of a runway, the satellite image is heartbreaking grrr..
Cheers
Wayne

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:01 pm

midlife wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:33 pm
I can’t help it, I just recoil in horror when anyone builds a massive building right in the middle of a runway, the satellite image is heartbreaking grrr..
Cheers
Wayne
Sorry...? Not following here. You mean at RR Ansty.....?

Looking on Google Maps I cannot see anything I don't recognise, from the late 90's. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.... :?