Technical Talk

midlife

Re: Technical Talk

Post by midlife » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:57 am

Oops, sorry for the late reply!
Yes I’m on about Ansty, the runway isn’t as pronounced in the satalite image as it used to be, but you can still see it.
On the Google satalite image the runway can be seen exiting from the plant diagonally from the bottom left corner.
Sorry I can’t post the pic as I can’t access this thread via Tapatalk, for those wishing to have a look the postcode for google maps is CV7 9JR.
Cheers
Wayne

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:23 am

midlife wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:57 am
Oops, sorry for the late reply!
Yes I’m on about Ansty, the runway isn’t as pronounced in the satalite image as it used to be, but you can still see it.
On the Google satalite image the runway can be seen exiting from the plant diagonally from the bottom left corner.
Sorry I can’t post the pic as I can’t access this thread via Tapatalk, for those wishing to have a look the postcode for google maps is CV7 9JR.
Cheers
Wayne
Still cannot understand.... You mean the Big White Building, top Left....? Thats been there ages - think it was/is Manufacturing - :?

I have no problem using this Forum, as it is. Had to look up what Tapatalk was.... 8-)

midlife

Post by midlife » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:46 am

Now all of a sudden it’s letting me in thru Tapatalk.
Here’s what I mean
Cheers
Wayne

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:51 am

The lower, smaller white building is what I meant - which is within the original RR site - and does appear to be on a bit of ex-runway - and is AFAIK, an RR building.

The other bigger building (which look very new..?) simply isnt there, on Google Maps as seen on a PC.....!! Not sure it on ex-runway either. Part of the new - talked-about-for-years Ansty Business park, I believe.

midlife

Technical Talk

Post by midlife » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:59 am

Before the newer development of the business park, you could see the whole runway with the single building plonked right in the middle. It’s the thought process that decided to put it there that miffs me a little lol
I’ve been at RR for 30 years now, based in Barnoldswick for my sins, got to admit it’s starting to feel like a prison camp.
Cheers
Wayne

thunderer

Post by thunderer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:52 pm

I see what you mean about the PC Google maps version... Have just looked and taken this screen shot.

Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:06 pm

@thunderer - Yup, that what I get.... Very odd.

@midlife - Barnoldswick - The former Rover factory, in an old mill.....? I could not possibly comment about how most R-R plants resemble prison camps.... But glad to have 'escaped'.... ;)

midlife

Post by midlife » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:56 pm

Just under 3 more years for me & then it’s happy days :D
Cheers
Wayne

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:47 am

Engine 711 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:46 pm

Can definitely recommend the book 'Not Much of an Engineer' - by (Sir) Stanley Hooker

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-Much-Engin ... 1853102857
Thanks, I first read this a long time ago and your comment spurred me to read it again. Just as fresh, enlightening and utterly fascinating as the first time. Just starting the Orpheus chapter now....

A "must read" for anybody with the slightest interest in the subject.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:08 am

mtskull wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:47 am
Engine 711 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:46 pm

Can definitely recommend the book 'Not Much of an Engineer' - by (Sir) Stanley Hooker

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-Much-Engin ... 1853102857
Thanks, I first read this a long time ago and your comment spurred me to read it again. Just as fresh, enlightening and utterly fascinating as the first time. Just starting the Orpheus chapter now....

A "must read" for anybody with the slightest interest in the subject.
No problem. I bought my copy soon after it came out, after seeing a copy a colleague at RR had bought. Believe the book was published on the day he died...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Hooker