New Members

Renegadenemo

Re: New Members

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Ray,

What you don't know is that we'd had someone snooping around our yard for a few days prior to your visit. The intruder had been reported but not, by that time, cornered. You never knew how close you came to being kidnapped and interrogated at hammer-point... Welcome back.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
huszarail

Post by huszarail »

Hi All,
Thought I'd better check in.
I was 7 and a half when Donald started that second run in January 1967. Bluebird had captured my imagination back then and now knowing a bit more about Donald, Leo and the craft has got me well and truly hooked.
I think Bluebird K7 was the catalyst in getting me hooked on speed.
My own need for speed is slaked by a period correct 1966 front engine dragster my wife and I run occasionally. Scaring yourself occasionally does you good!
As a boy, I was the first one to get 'With Campbell at Coniston' out fo my local public library even if I couldn't quite get my teeth around the title, :oops: much to the amusement of our librarian.

I fully intend to be on the beach come the glorious day, I think the Bluebird Cafe should definately get extra bacon in!! I hope to meet some like minded folks and the Bluebird team responsible for this fantastic feat.

Mark.
I'm only a man from Del Monte..........
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Look forward to meeting you on the beach, Mark. Welcome aboard.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

BBP members used to get staff discount at the Bluebird cafe but for some reason the staff we knew in 2001 don't seem to be there any longer. Wonder where they went, it was only yesterday, after all.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Renegadenemo wrote:BBP members used to get staff discount at the Bluebird cafe but for some reason the staff we knew in 2001 don't seem to be there any longer. Wonder where they went, it was only yesterday, after all.
Thats an easy one Bill- they went bust giving all that discount! :lol:
model-maker

New members 1st post

Post by model-maker »

I've been keen on the Campbell/Bluebird thng for some time, but have only just found this forum.

From what I've heard and seen, it appears to be the one to watch. Can anyone suggest some reading info. for me please.

mm.
Renegadenemo

Re: New members 1st post

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Model-Maker and welcome aboard. Reading material... The Record Breakers by Le Villa is good as is Steve Holter's Leap Into Legend. Then there's the Bluebird Project diary, of course. Funny, concise and brilliantly written, it's my personal favourite :D

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Ahh - I'd forgotten about The Bluebird Years. The Arthur Knowles bit is obviously the meat of it but it's worth having a copy of every edition because the bit at the back starts out describing the BBP as pie in the sky and gradually changes its tune. There's a reprint due out soon so doubtless it'll have swung a little further.

model-maker

Post by model-maker »

Thanks to all who suggested reading matter, should just about get through that lot by the time 'SHE' comes back to Coniston.
Regards, MM
DMCK7 Fan

Post by DMCK7 Fan »

I would recommend the following:

Into The Water Barrier (Donald Campbell) for an account of the Ullswater 1955 record - usually forgotten due to the history at Coniston.
The Record Breakers (Leo Villa) From the horses mouth covering not only Donald but Leos' years with Malcolm too.
With Campbell At Coniston / The Bluebird Years (Arthur Knowles/with Graham Beech) for being the final account of Donald Campbells 1966/67 record attempt
The Man Behind The Mask (David Treymane) An EXCELLENT overview of EVERYTHING.
Rainbow Coloured (Fred Blois) Again an excellent overview on everything and enjoyable to read or flick through.
Leap Into Legend (Steve Holter) A FANTASTIC reference guide to dip into and out of.
Leo Villa's Bluebird Album (David De Lara) A beautiful pictorial with many colour shots.

If you want to know about the land speed stories too:

Book Of The Racing Campbells (Richard Hough)
Bluebird And The Dead Lake (John Pearson)

Happy reading