New Members

f1steveuk

Re: New Members

Post by f1steveuk »

[quote="DMCK7 Fan"]I would recommend the following:
Leap Into Legend (Steve Holter) A FANTASTIC reference guide to dip into and out of.

You really don't know how pleased I am you said that! It was always my intention to do 'Leap' like a "swimming pool, dive in anywhere, swim about a bit, and get out, and it should still make sense", I didn't know Leo well, but he helped a hell of a lot, and to have my title mentioned in the same breath as "The Record breakers".............. TA!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

If you're visiting the Lakes, have a browse in Hayes Garden Centre, Ambleside.

Picked-up My Speed King by Tonia Bern Campbell for only £3.99!

Maybe's not accurate in every detail, but an intriguing and very readable account of life with DMC, nonetheless.
Claire

Post by Claire »

New member intro...

I have been following the rebuild on the PPB page almost from the beginning, and also through the Speed Record Group since I'm not sure when. (They don't have a member list over there). Somehow, I missed the creation of this forum until tonight when I was looking for the Shop link on the main Bluebird Project page to get the Rebuild DVD part 2, and noticed an enticing Forum button that I didn't remember seeing before.

I'm Claire from the USA, and have always been interested in boats and cars and mechanics and building things. My Dad could build anything so I grew up a bit of a tomboy. If I didn't live so far away, I would have come and swept the shop and tried out as a volunteer! My English friends tell me though that I have horrible taste in tea, I usually manage to make it drinkable for them. And only 2 days ago, I was riveting part of my riding lawn mower back together. :-)

I haven't been to Coniston since 1988, but I will be there in June and will definitely visit the Ruskin and see the new addition and displays. My London friend - she is a systems designer and Chartered Electrical Engineer - is as interested in mechanical things as I am and she has suggested that we also drive over and visit the Beamish Museum. It looks really interesting on their website. Any opinions on that?

I am looking forward to reading more of the forum now that I know it exists. And to think I kept wading through Speed Record Group messages wondering where Bill was when he was over here!

Claire
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Claire,

I have an even better idea. Seeing as the amazing Beamish open air museum is only about thirty minutes drive away from where we are why not visit there then come over to the BBP workshop for a look-see?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Claire

Post by Claire »

Mike Bull wrote: Greetings Claire, and welcome!

Maybe we should have a little scheme where all wannabe volunteers who can't physically come to the workshop all pay a small donation, send a photo, and have their picture stuck on the wall overlooking the old girl as we swear at her and hit her with hammers and gradually get her back into one bit! :lol:
I like that Idea - I will see what I can do about that when I am there.

Claire
Claire

Post by Claire »

Renegadenemo wrote:Hi Claire,

I have an even better idea. Seeing as the amazing Beamish open air museum is only about thirty minutes drive away from where we are why not visit there then come over to the BBP workshop for a look-see?
OMG Bill. That would be absolutely wonderful!! Thank you.

We will be driving over from Burton south of Kendal on June 19. We planned to see Beamish in the afternoon. I don't have a good idea of the driving time from Kendal to Newcastle, (but i bet you know it well).

Then we have a room booked in the Newcastle Whitemare Pool Travelodge for that night. Our plan was to start back to London the morning of the 20th. I see that is a Saturday, and I don't know if you are around the shop then, or how late you are around Friday evening.

You probably have my email address from my recent order, but otherwise it is drgnfly@charter.net - I am not sure if yours is still bill@bluebirdproject.com, so I answered here instead. I don't know where the workshop is, but give me the address and I will find it.

Thank you ever so much for the invitation!

Claire
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Kendal to Newcastle as a tourist on the wrong side of the road - three hours. Whitemare Pool is a truck stop too, suggest relocating to the Travelodge at Silverlink, which is right in the middle of the civilised world and only five minutes from our local if you guys (how American of me) want to meet for a beer on the Friday.

Claire

Post by Claire »

Mike Bull wrote:As it happens Claire, Saturday is the all-day workshop session, and I'm sure we'd all love to meet you. 8-)
That would be great, Mike. I would like to meet you too and the rest of the crew. I really love your cartoons and Kay-Seven too!

Claire
Claire

Post by Claire »

Renegadenemo wrote:Kendal to Newcastle as a tourist on the wrong side of the road - three hours. Whitemare Pool is a truck stop too, suggest relocating to the Travelodge at Silverlink, which is right in the middle of the civilised world and only five minutes from our local if you guys (how American of me) want to meet for a beer on the Friday.
Hi Bill,

Luckily my London friend will be driving, but we will still plan on 3 hours. That should give us time for Beamish, and perhaps a stop at the shop when we wouldn't be in the way. Then perhaps meet the rest of your crew on our way out of town on Saturday. I don't know if I can change my reservations with Travelodge, but I will check it out later today or tomorrow. It would be great to meet for a beer on Friday!

Claire
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We can always find you at White Mare Pool if you want to join the boys for a beer.