Bluebird Archive Photos & Films

sheppane

Re: Looking Back In Time- Archive Bluebird Photos

Post by sheppane »

I thought this thread was called " A Picture Paints a Thousand Words" .... Can it be again please? Also I would rather it was not locked, unless there is avery good reason.

Many thanks,

Neil
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

Also, Mike, I think a page seems to have gone on the 'Fin' debate in the revamp; I was about to refer to it in some new thoughts but couldn't find it
---------- and couldn't quite remember what I said (sadly, an experience which is becoming all the more common the further I leave 60 behind!).
K.

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Mike Bull wrote:Neil- we're opening the threads out a little, as everything tends to end up in one place otherwise. Please ignore my (now deleted) locking comment- that was regarding the old version of this thread, which has since been deleted.
Okey Dokey... Fair shout
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

Mike Bull wrote:Keith- my bad- got in a muddle when I was shifting things about. :oops:
Have you got past 60, too, Mike ----- ?

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

0155457.jpg
During the long drawn out 66/67 attempt, DMC also went for the world waterborne scooter record... here is Don returning to the jetty after the unsuccessful attempt. The scooter ran out of fuel on the way to the measured Kilo... and Louis Goosens had to rush to the rescue to refuel the craft... after that conditions were never the same again, and DMC returned to the WSR to drum up support for a future attempt.... (PS. This message is a day and a half late ;) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

Examining photo's of K7 at various stages of development and operation during it's 12 years of life never ceases to reveal some small detail which may not have received the emphasis in the many retrospective analyses performed on such images.

A case in hand is the illuminating but equally harrowing final photo' before K7 lifts-off (see below), it's brief and uncontrolled flight presaging ultimate catastrophe. The raised starboard sponson, it's stabilising fin well clear of the surface would provide evidence for the well-established view that 'tramping' effects were a major contributor further underpinned by the elegant mathematical analysis performed by Ken Norris to confirm it's adverse effect on stability.

The eye is drawn to this dominant aspect like a magnet ----------- but to the neglect of other features??

Look to the rear of BB below the transom. The rear planing shoe is also clear of the surface and the starboard stabilising fin is only partially submerged. The latter was an addition instigated by Norris in the mod's of early '66 to prepare for the final assault on '300'! It's function was twofold; to aid directional stability and - more importantly - to introduce an additional force component (moment) to help stop the bows lifting.

Now on an ideal surface it would be fully submerged and hence produce it's theoretical restoring force. But on a rough surface with concomitant pitching and rolling it's effect would be much diminished.

Yet another factor to 'throw into the pot' on the 'why's' and 'how's' ----------------!

Have a Nice Easter!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

the more i see of theories like this the more fascinating it becomes! happy easter to all DC nuts everywhere!
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..

klingon

Post by klingon »

sheppane wrote:
0155457.jpg
During the long drawn out 66/67 attempt, DMC also went for the world waterborne scooter record... here is Don returning to the jetty after the unsuccessful attempt. The scooter ran out of fuel on the way to the measured Kilo... and Louis Goosens had to rush to the rescue to refuel the craft... after that conditions were never the same again, and DMC returned to the WSR to drum up support for a future attempt.... (PS. This message is a day and a half late ;) )
Scooter looks like a Lambretta J125 or Cento-wonder if thats still around?-and who has it?-can't make out the registration number to check!
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"

DMCK7 Fan

Post by DMCK7 Fan »

klingon wrote:Scooter looks like a Lambretta J125 or Cento-wonder if thats still around?-and who has it?-can't make out the registration number to check!
52 DOY
52DOY.jpg

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Not surprising really. Coniston in December / January is bloody freezing in my experience!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler