Bluebird Archive Photos & Films

Renegadenemo

Re: A Picture paints a thousand words....

Post by Renegadenemo »

That's the one. Row 2 of the screws is the one I was talking about. The outer skin is outrigged from the frame about three inches at that point and those screws just go into small captives flush-riveted to the inside of the skin.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

BluebirdConiston Dec 66.jpg
Another one of Eddie Whitham's wonderful works of art...42 years and 2 months after it was taken....14th Dec 66. Heading out for an attempt. 267mph max - fuel starvation still a problem. Enjoy. Copyright Eddie Whitham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

these pictures are just stunning! thanks for sharing them with us!
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

1452612.jpg
I am glad everyone seems to be enjoying the pics. Hear is another: K7 at speed on a return run in Dec 66 after a quick turnaround. Note the wake returning to the center of the lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The pictures are fabulous, Neil. You have my gratitude too for sharing them.

Interesting you should mention the fuel starvation problem too. When did the engine intake failure occur? I've often wondered about this because the intakes went for substantial modification following their failure, which was due to a fundamental design blunder the old Beryl engine wasn't powerful enough to reveal. But there was also a deficiency in the fuel system that could have easily been remedied at the same time because it wasn't possible to remove the intakes without taking the tank out.

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

2.JPG
Bill, You are most welcome re the pics. the intakes collapsed on the 5th November, and were sent to Berners of Lancing to be reinforced. They arrived back on the 16th and given a static test with 709 the day later. K7 was afloat on the 18th, but would not plane. It was late November before the sandbag experiment. Attached is pic of DMC on the 16th Nov when the intakes arrived back at Pier Cottage on Bill Coley's Bedford truck. It looks to me like the tank stayed at Coniston, because it is not attached to the intakes in that picture.
Last edited by sheppane on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

1956 The Bluebird Works.jpg
A blast from the past: K7 in 1956. Note the circular fuel tank tucked around the intake. Leo directing operations from the cockpit

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

K7 DMC 16th November 66.jpg
K7 returns to the jetty after the first run post the intake rebuild. Tony James looks on from the Jetty. 16 November 66. The sun shone that day, but K7 did not plane.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Tony James came to see us not long after we recovered the boat but he didn't seem a happy chappy when it came to the broken engine mounts. One of the main mounts was found to be cracked and had to be re-welded before K7 even got to Coniston. It's documented in the 1966 NDT survey carried out by the RAF. The forward engine mount was discovered failed in tension when the crash would have placed it in compression. We never got to the bottom of that one and I don't know what Mr James' involvement with the engine mounts was but he didn't seem keen on the topic.

KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

I wonder whether Bill might be prepared to comment on the cause of the engine mount cracks? Could it have been the replacement of the Beryl with the more powerful Orpheus? Might it's 20% more thrust have compromised the engine mounts or where they strengthened --------?

Can I also thank Neil for posting the photo's. They really do bring life and meaning to the subject. 'Mood' in photography - particularly in a historical context - is extremely important - and can be equally difficult to achieve. Eddie Whitham has certainly demonstrated a mastery of the technique here!

Looking at the colour-rendering (notwithstanding whatever modifications have been introduced by the scanning, monitor set-ups etc..) those in colour look as though they're from early Agfa slides. Is it possible to ask whether high resolution copies are available?

Thanks,
Keith M.