The Workshop Music Channel

Pegasus

Re: The Workshop Music Channel

Post by Pegasus »

We tried a Within Temptation album yesterday and after a promising start, we all voted that we'd had enough of the lass wailing after about three quarters of it.
Oh dear. Of course there is always "Opeth"!

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

It's an eclectic mix of Prog Rock (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Marillion and some angry Scottish bloke shouting about tattoos) but no chance of any hard rock or Metal Al. Even Led Zeppelin is deemed as 'shouty noise' by our leader, philistine!
Last edited by Jordangbr on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

Piston Broke wrote:I tried to introduce the workshop to Metallica and failed even tried sneaking some in on some compilation albums and they were deleted as well

I've given up trying to educate the workshop in to the heavier side of music ( cue one of them replying it isn't music)
Heathens!!

I've been argueing for years that there's nothing more apt for in a workshop than heavy METAL. There's nothing like it to help one relax into a nice productive workrate. 8-)
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

"Have you ever tried to compose next door to a bunch of whizzed up, unwashed, leather clad loonies who sounded like they were laying the foundations for a great public building, not making music?"
Mark Kelly, Marillion's keyboard player, on trying to work in a studio next door to Motorhead. Sums up that heavy metal nonsense rather aptly, I think.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

For the most part I don't think The Who are angry and shouty, it's more that if you could give a guitar and drums to an over-keen terrier banging away at someone's leg what it would play would unquestionably sound like The Who. Gilmour and Knopfler, on the other hand, make a sound like when the terrier finally climbs off and pours himself a drink.
And Fish can get a bit shouty, let's not deny it, but there's no escaping the genius in his lyrics so he scores extra points for that.
What else have we tried?

Buddy sounds like he has the hiccoughs and the only reason he didn't vanish into obscurity is because his plane crashed.
Kylie inevitably suffers a word shortage halfway through every track - extremely annoying.
Elvis never wrote a song in his life and is therefore a total fraud and no more than an overrated club singer.
Simon and Garfunkel - genius! Why don't we have any of their work?

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

I have a great affinity for the Eagles, both as a group and in some of their solo efforts - especially Joe Walsh. I will mix up a set of favourite tracks, burn them to CD and bring them along next time. (.... waits for p#ss to be taken and CD to be frisbeed across Jackson Street :) )

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Ive got some Simon And Garfunckel. Either on one of my wax tubes or shellack, If anyone has the technology to transfer to more modern media i will bring them in.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Bring 'em in, Rob. Al or Mike will have one of those 'app' things to slurp it off your Edison cylinder into a Podeye fone.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We've not mentioned Rush yet- never have I come across a band so capable of producing something sublime one minute, and an excruciating racket the next!
I wouldn't go as far as 'excruciating racket' but there are unquestionably times when less would be more, but the sublime moments far outnumber the bad bits.

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

Lying Eyes, Desperados.....
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!