The Workshop Music Channel

jonwrightk7

Re: The Workshop Music Channel

Post by jonwrightk7 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:03 pm

remind me to bring my i-pod next visit! :twisted:
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:07 pm

Yup - agree with that, John's flute grinding was positively melodious by comparison. The girl from the bank whom I speak to most days and who comes across as very gentle and professional told me she'd been to a gig recently and was invited to the aftershow to meet her heroes. I was pleased for her and inquired, as you would, which band it was. I got a bit of a surprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUUpLBQmQYM
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:45 pm

The solitary vocal track from the forthcoming Pink Floyd album is out in the wild- it starts at 01:11 here-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04jmh4y

I'm never quite sure just how Pink Floyd 'Pink Floyd' are anymore, but ignoring all that, I rather liked the song from the off.

While I'm resurrecting this thread, there should be a shout out for project friend Steve Rothery's new album too- some lovely guitar to be found on here-

http://www.steverothery.com/
'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:11 am

Short EPK from Floyd-

'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:26 am

I think David is slowly morphing into Whispering Bob Harris these days....
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:29 pm

My Son bought me "Endless River" for Christmas and I have just given it a full and proper listen - several times in fact. I realised many years ago that if I had to listen to a piece of music more than once to decide if I liked it, then I was probably never going to - and so it is with most of Endless River. There are some high points including Talkin' Hawkin' and my overall favourite Louder Than Words. In general though, the album is very somber and almost full of ghosts ( no pun intended). I detected hints of many previous PF tracks including Shine on You Crazy Diamond and Wish You Were Here. I have not read any reviews of the album, but think it's a shame if this album does indeed represent the final output from arguably the biggest rock band of all time.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:39 pm

I'm with you Checkie- when it was released I gave it a couple of listens at home and then a couple more in the workshop, and just found it totally forgettable and ultimately pointless. I enjoy the solitary vocal track 'Louder Than Words'- indeed, a line from it that I like is currently my signature on here- but otherwise, meh.

There's not been much else new in the workshop for a while...we've been trying out Robert Plant's current album 'Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar', which is a strange one- I have a feeling that it's possibly quite, quite brilliant, but it's so packed with a mish-mash of different sounds, it's an awful lot to digest. Bill and I keep returning to it though, so there must be something there. Plant isn't someone I'd normally listen to at all- I just happened to like a track from the album when I heard it on the radio-

-and so proceeded to acquire the album on a whim from there.

Also on a musical note, for Christmas I asked for the new book about Brian May's 'Red Special' guitar. I thought it would just be a nice photo book with lots of arty shots of the guitar's innards, but it's all that and a lot more- a very well written and designed book, with total input from Brian himself, and some great archive material on the building of the guitar along with his father; original plans, notes, still-surviving bespoke tooling, and great old pics of the guitar being built; a lovely book.

I also had a second ukulele for Christmas but as this is a thread about music, I'll stop there! :lol:

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:46 am

Together with Roger Daltrey of The Who, I consider Robert Plant one of the very best heavy rock singers, so will give his new album a listen. The book about Brian May's guitar also sounds a good read. If memory serves, part of a bicycle seat ended up being used as the tremolo arm (?). Certainly an iconic instrument!
Last edited by rob565uk on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:15 am

Yeah, the tremolo arm is fashioned from part of a saddlebag support, and the end is shaped from a knitting needle.

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:58 am

Presumably, the knitting needle was a cast-off ? ;-)