Wiki Mystery

Renegadenemo

Wiki Mystery

Post by Renegadenemo »

I was alerted to some abuse of Wiki last week by the usual suspects where K7 is concerned but I forgot about it until tonight; then when I went for a looky-see I found this fairly accurate final paragraph that certainly isn't the same as last I looked.

Now I know I didn't write it and the author's style isn't immediately recognisable so who wrote this?

Restoration and future running
{On Thursday 7 December 2006, Gina Campbell formally gifted Bluebird K7 to the Ruskin Museum on behalf of the whole Campbell family. In agreement with the Campbell Heritage Trust and the museum, Bill Smith is to organize the restoration of the boat, which is now under way. Now the property of the museum, the intention is to rebuild K7 back to running order circa January 4, 1967. Bill has said that this will take a number of years to accomplish. Gina Campbell commented: "I've decided to secure the future of Bluebird for the people of Coniston, the Ruskin Museum and the people of the world". Museum Director Vicky Slowe spoke of Gina's generosity and then said: "Bill has assured us he can get Bluebird fully conserved and reconfigured at no cost to the museum.As of 2008, K7 is being fully restored by The Bluebird Project, to full aerospace standards of working condition in North Shields, Tyne and Wear, using a very high proportion of her original fabric, but with a new engine of the same type albeit incorporating many original components.
As of May 2009 permission has been given for a one off set of proving trials of Bluebird on Coniston Water, where she will be tested to a safe speed for demonstration purposes only. There is no fixed date for completion/the trials. K7 will be housed in her own wing at the Ruskin Museum in Coniston, while remaining under the care of The Bluebird Project.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

rob565uk

Re: Wiki Mystery

Post by rob565uk »

I recognise the first half as an almost verbatim lift from the Ruskin website's statement about K7. Not sure about the rest.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I recognise the first half as an almost verbatim lift from the Ruskin website's statement about K7
just had a look and it's not, you know. It has crumbs of the Ruskin Museum statement in it but little more. The plot thickens.

http://www.ruskinmuseum.com/bluebird.htm

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Well, I believe whoever wrote it took sections of the Ruskin's words at least.

There are also some recognisable snippets on Gina Campbell's site under "Future of the Restored K7"

http://ginacampbellqso.com/bluebird-boats/k7/

So it looks like person or persons unknown, trawling the available references and choosing sentences and words selectively to compose the piece.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Mike Bull wrote:Biggest contributor there by far would appear to be Neil, who seems to be turning much of it into an abridged version of his book.
If by that you meant adding factual and interesting detail about a key event in the history of K7, as well as a number of images. Guilty.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Neil, was it you who tidied up the Wiki page then? Someone has done a very nice job of it. Or they had last time I looked.

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Renegadenemo wrote:Neil, was it you who tidied up the Wiki page then? Someone has done a very nice job of it. Or they had last time I looked.
I tidied up the page up to and including the accident, but nothing on the recovery section.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Strange, is that. Never mind - it reads well enough.

Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker »

Mike Bull wrote:The trouble with Wiki is, anyone and everyone can meddle with it, so what it says now isn't what it'll say tonight, and so on. (Especially if it's flagged up now that it says something the usual suspects won't like!)

Biggest contributor there by far would appear to be Neil, who seems to be turning much of it into an abridged version of his book.
Renegadenemo wrote:Neil, was it you who tidied up the Wiki page then? Someone has done a very nice job of it. Or they had last time I looked.
Bill / Mike, you may know this already, but if you hit the "view history" tab in the top right of a page, you can see who changed what and view previous versions. Not all of the users have a page that tells you about them, but you might guess some of them.

S

Richie

Post by Richie »

"Nailitnow" was very busy on here on 22/04/13
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."