Donald Campbell Bust

Renegadenemo

Re: Donald Campbell Bust

Post by Renegadenemo »

How fascinating - that shadows don't scale. And I ought to have spotted that from all those years of interpreting sonar imagery.
So here's a new idea, and I'm hoping that our friend, sbt here may know a little about this (as he's a bona fide boffin), what say we have a hologram made from it?
I see it set in a clear acrylic block with a genuine K7 rivet or paint flake embedded with it. That ought to be a good use of the sculpture, relatively inexpensive to produce and saleable at a reasonable price to a much wider audience.

Thoughts, anyone?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

sbt wrote:One thing to remember is that this is a Half Scale bust.

From my knowledge of wargaming figure design and painting relief has to be exaggerated, either with paint or in the sculpting, usually both. Basically shadows don't scale, if you scale the relief in step with the dimensions you end up with something that looks washed out and featureless.
One of our model-maker volunteers - John Shinton, who still makes his living making models - told me this about 20 years ago. Only in his case it was in relation to his range of model boats and cars.

Basically, the source subject has to be "interpreted" so as to impart the right "look" to the finished model. This often meant John exaggerating certain key features of the boat or car being modelled. The same would apply to busts, figurines and suchlike. Shadows and highlights don't scale.

Beyond that, whilst I have no ideas or suggestions about the viability of the Donald Campbell bust as a commercial product, I would say that the master pattern shown is a very good piece of work. It does capture Campbell well, in my view. And remember that it is seldom likely to be displayed entirely out of context: there will doubtless be model Bluebird cars and boats not very far away! Surely there will be a name-plaque on the finished product, anyway?

The only thing I would add is some eye detail, as the way it's shown right now may be "classically" correct per the genre, but it makes for a slightly spooky look that isn't complimentary to the subject.

Nigel
quicksilver-wsr

From that angle, even better.

And the name-plaque is visible now. Ta-da ... it's suddenly a more compelling piece.

Give the sculptor his due. It's a pretty amazing display of his skill.

Nigel
Richie

Post by Richie »

I reckon the hologram in acrylic would be good as long as it was 3D. More modern so would fit in most peoples homes..... Bronze busts IMHO are more akin to Victorian - pre 1930's

Also if the acrylic was sat on a plinth with coloured LED's say.... Blue.... It would be a nice piece
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Renegadenemo wrote: So here's a new idea, and I'm hoping that our friend, sbt here may know a little about this (as he's a bona fide boffin), what say we have a hologram made from it?
I see it set in a clear acrylic block with a genuine K7 rivet or paint flake embedded with it. That ought to be a good use of the sculpture, relatively inexpensive to produce and saleable at a reasonable price to a much wider audience.

Thoughts, anyone?
I could see myself as a prospective purchaser of such a piece :)
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Mike Bull wrote: What do you all think now? Does another angle change your opinion at all? Zombie eyes apart, I like the profile view.
The profile is much better and changes my opinion considerably. Add some pupil detail and I think it would win me over.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
quicksilver-wsr

rob565uk wrote:Add some pupil detail and I think it would win me over.
Donald attended Uppingham School, in the county of Rutland - like his father before him.

"I'll get me coat ..." ;)
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

much better from this angle, but i cant help seeing john noakes.... quite like the perspex block idea though :)
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

jonwrightk7 wrote:but i cant help seeing john noakes
As the film evidence no longer exists, I can say that this bust is nothing like the John Noakes I taught to Morris Dance during a week in the Yorkshire Dales. :o
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

quicksilver-wsr wrote: Donald attended Uppingham School, in the county of Rutland - like his father before him.

"I'll get me coat ..." ;)
Bill, did you put Nigel up to this? I mean, getting the p#ss taken in the BBP workshop is one thing, but now it has spread to another project entirely .....

Nice one Nigel :-)

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't