New Bluebird restoration project?

Renegadenemo

Re: New Bluebird restoration project?

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:30 pm

One for Jordan, maybe? He likes mending old boats.

We have the go-ahead to get a tune out of the Jetstar in the Ruskin. We only have to take some tools over and get a tune out of it. I've turned the engine over a few times and it's free enough. Checkie can give the wires a look over and other than that it only needs fluids.
Then all the rubber bits will split and crack and we'll be bailing for all we're worth but that's what you expect with old boats.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:57 pm

And if you recall, I obtained a full workshop manual for the engine too ....

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:50 pm

When Andy Stirling sold the Jetstar to the Ruskin it was in full working order and had been run many times in the preceding ten years or five yrs. I also seem to recall I think Dawn even got the chance to go out in the said Jetstar. I don't think it would take much to get her going i.e fuel. I think I have the right boat as it was Ken Norris's before Andy had it if I have got things correct.
Novie
I've Gone
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:41 am

Terminator wrote:When Andy Stirling sold the Jetstar to the Ruskin it was in full working order and had been run many times in the preceding ten years or five yrs. I also seem to recall I think Dawn even got the chance to go out in the said Jetstar. I don't think it would take much to get her going i.e fuel. I think I have the right boat as it was Ken Norris's before Andy had it if I have got things correct.
Novie
I've Gone
Being a 2-stroke, the time since last run will probably necessitate a little more than fuel alone to get it back on song, depending on exactly how long it has been. The worst case scenario, however, shouldn't extend beyond a gasket set and main seals. Nothing major in the right hands and basic 'bread & butter' stuff when resurrecting a dormant stroker. The jet unit could be the source of the more expensive problem due to the plastic impeller having a rather finite lifespan and nasty habit of becoming brittle with age.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:10 am

It's a four stroke V4 if memory serves me correctly.
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:17 pm

My memory was telling me it's a 2-stroke V4 from an Evinrude outboard. That said, my memory serves no man and can be prone to deceit. :lol:
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:07 pm

It's a 2-stroker so far as I remember. It's basically the head-unit from a V-6 outboard and 4-stroke outboards were a long time coming until Honda stood a Civic engine on its end and marinised it. Great little motor, was that.

I remember once, when back on the tools, being told to start an old tipper wagon that was going for scrap. It was a beast of a thing with a Cummins V-8 but it hadn't run in years. It was one thing after another. Fluids, filters, coolant, oil - all of which leaked and had to be sorted. Batteries and leads, the core-plugs had been shoved out by the cold - you know when you pour the coolant in the top and it either vanishes into the sump and the oil climbs up the dipstick or it just pours straight onto the ground beneath...
But eventually it was good to go so I turned the key. To my amazement it sparked up on the first turn and sat there purring beautifully. Splendid, thought I, as I dipped the clutch and tried to drop it into gear. Now it's as well that I got the wrong cog from the eleventy-lots to choose from, because it slipped seamlessly into reverse and set off backwards into the brick wall behind that stopped it and left the twin rear wheels slipping slowly round in the moss and ooze that had accumulated behind the truck.
The clutch was useless - the hydraulics were working so it felt OK but the friction plate was welded with rust to the flywheel so now it wouldn't come back out of gear. Eek!
I immediately pulled the stop cable only to have six, rusted inches of it come away in my hand - double eek!
I pulled the cab release and leapt out to tilt the cab and pull the lever on the pump but when the beast had set off in reverse the corner of the open door had dug into an old bus alongside rendering the cab immovable. All I could do was stand at a safe distance watching the driverless truck slowly turn the mud under its rear wheels to steam as the heat built up, the friction increased and the wall began to rock. It was only a question of time...
And behind the wall?
A wooden-framed greenhouse containing the owner's prize roses.
I watched helplessly as the wall began to lose the battle, it was seconds from going over, and then the engine died. Most likely a bubble in the diesel line - those old lumps had to be bled and were very intolerant of any air in the loop - so I was saved. I dragged the truck forward with a big earth-moving tracked thing and declared it knackered in case anyone else tried to get it going.
Escaped by the skin of my teeth that day.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Aye you're right Bill. My memory is going at 33...
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Aye you're right Bill. My memory is going at 33...
You wait 'til you get to Checkie's age!