Question re water colour of K3 by Raymond Groves

Renegadenemo

Re: Question re water colour of K3 by Raymond Groves

Post by Renegadenemo »

I guess it comes down to the slightly demoralizing fact that nothing seems to be beyond price.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Renegadenemo wrote:I guess it comes down to the slightly demoralizing fact that nothing seems to be beyond price.
Understood. Agreed.

The trouble is that one generation, or maybe two or three or even more, value a thing, and then a later generation will come along who only see the thing for its monetary value.

It often seems to be that way.

As to the specifics of the particular case under discussion earlier, I don't know the circumstances and haven't got an axe to grind one way or the other.

Wherever those fabulous objects are now, I hope they are appreciated, looked after and eventually find their way back onto the radar-screen so they don't disappear forever.

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Wherever those fabulous objects are now, I hope they are appreciated, looked after and eventually find their way back onto the radar-screen so they don't disappear forever.
If they're no longer held dear then they should be donated, like K7, to the Ruskin Museum for the benefit of others, not flogged off like expensive tat. In being converted to £££ their real value is being totally disrespected - in my humble opinion.

msevern7

Post by msevern7 »

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. Aside from inadvertently raising some controversial issues, it does however seem that prints of this particular painting are unlikely to be available. Thanks anyway.
quicksilver-wsr

msevern7 wrote:Aside from inadvertently raising some controversial issues ...
Almost impossible not to ... ;)

Nigel
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Renegadenemo wrote:
If they're no longer held dear then they should be donated, like K7, to the Ruskin Museum for the benefit of others, not flogged off like expensive tat. In being converted to £££ their real value is being totally disrespected - in my humble opinion.
Mountains out of molehills here, methinks. Let's be a little more objective:

Were these items ever really "on the radar screen"? The painting and trophy were not exactly accessible by the public whilst the property of Sir Malcolm and his descendants, so what has changed with them being sold?

K3 never broke a record at Coniston, so why donate the items to the Ruskin, where they have little relevance? Also, is it not fair to assume that if a person was sufficiently well-off to consider donating items of such value to a museum, they might not have the need to sell them in the first place?

Whoever bought these items, If they paid anywhere near the guide price then at least we can be sure that somebody, somewhere, treasures them.
Last edited by mtskull on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
quicksilver-wsr

Broadly I agree with your comments, mtskull. Though I actually think there was a certain amount of objectivity in the earlier remarks and observations ... but I guess that's a subjective view in itself!

When I used the term "on the radar-screen" I meant that while objects or documents of historical value are still held by a particular family with direct links to a given subject, those items are readily traceable by historians, authors and others with a legitimate interest in them. If, however, they go off to the home of a rich man somewhere who has nothing to do with the history, they are likely to become - in time - totally "lost" to the world.

I certainly agree with you that someone who has to sell valuable items is unlikely to be in a position to donate them to a museum. "Needs must as the devil drives". If someone has a need of the money, the chances are a price will be named and the thing will go to the highest bidder.

BTW, I am speaking in general terms here, and not about the specific items under discussion earlier - because, as said, I just don't know the circumstances with those Bluebird items.

Nigel
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Whats wrong with people collecting stuff? Bluebird or otherwise?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Whats wrong with people collecting stuff? Bluebird or otherwise?
Nothing at all - we've collected loads of Bluebird stuff.

quicksilver-wsr

Ditto. I imagine most folks on here must have been bitten by the collecting bug at some stage or other.

Not many in the £35,000 to £50,000 price-guide league though :shock:

Nigel