60th Anniversary of Bluebird's Unveiling

captain sparkle

60th Anniversary of Bluebird's Unveiling

Post by captain sparkle »

TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!
Pegasus

Re: New plaque at Samlesbury

Post by Pegasus »

Yes, nice gathering yesterday at Samlesbury Hall on the site of the engineering works for a tree planting and plaque unveiling by Gina to mark the 60th Anniversary of the handing over of Bluebird K7.
Gina.jpg
More pics on the Speed Record Club's Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 720&type=1

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pegasus on Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pegasus

Re: 60th Anniversary of Bluebird's Unveiling

Post by Pegasus »

I understand the plaques were only collected on the day, the year, which should of course be 1954, will be corrected in due course!
Plaque.jpg
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pegasus on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Shame they put the wrong year on the plaque though :roll:
Eh? if it's 60 years ago even I can do that calculation... What did the plaque say?

EDIT - as the pic of the plaque wasn't there when I started typing.
That's a pretty basic error. Now call me an anorak but didn't the boat have the pointy-out-the-front pitot on it from new too? That sticky-up one came later, did it not? Or am I wrong? The only reason I noticed is because we've just incorporated what we believe to be the fixings for the sticky-up pitot into the sponson lids for no good reason except they were still there in 67.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

But it's only the 24th ? Should the event not have been done on the actual day ? Otherwise it kinda makes a mockery of the whole thing does it not ? Bit like celebrating Christmas on the 23rd December ? It's a really nice gesture that the golf club have erected the plaque, but somewhat embarrassing that it's wrong. Shame none of those who are rebuilding the actual thing were there, could have perhaps prevented the error.

Who was responsible for the plaque etc ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Pegasus

Post by Pegasus »

Pic of the handing over ceremony from an earlier BBP diary piece proves the point.
BB.1954.jpg
The tree planting and plaques were arranged by Campbell enthusiast Steve Whalley and largely at his own expense. Sunday was chosen to allow as many as possible to attend, there is to be another event on Wednesday to mark the actual day. Gina, ably assisted by Mr Whoppit, unveiled three plaques in total, one alongside the tree, then others in the Hall itself and the golf centre.
GC.jpg
Shame about the errors but overall I think Steve is to be applauded for marking an anniversary that would otherwise have most likely gone unnoticed.

Phil
Richie

Post by Richie »

Indeed...
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Only a small error... These things happen.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/si ... ed-1334269
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

Renegadenemo wrote:Now call me an anorak
Bill, I think from recent evidence you are now officially an anorak! I will call you 'anorak' from now on ...............
Mike Bull wrote:the actual anniversary is on Wednesday, when a bunch of blokes will be working on the machine herself- a much better way to honour the thing.
But Mike, Gina (patron to the BBP) cannot plant a tree in the workshop.
Renegadenemo wrote:Only a small error... These things happen. Jimmy-savile-headstone-unveiled-1334269
Bill, I thought you may have referred to the P word at the start of the list of claim to fame. Do we now call you the Chef of the BBP now?
Richie wrote:Shame none of those who are rebuilding the actual thing were there
Looking at the SRC pictures that may not correct ................ or are my eyes deceiving me?

The lack of notice meant that many could not attend either day, including myself.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Steve is to be commended for being the only person to realise the significance of this day/year and in a very short time he managed to pull together a gathering of people to mark such an important milestone in Bluebird K7 history i.e her birthplace :D I was very pleasantly surprised by Samlesbury Hall and its warm and welcoming staff a lovely Tudor building. A warm welcome awaited us and with any such event very hastily put together it did not come as any great surprise to find errors in the plaques that had to be made in a rush.

Obviously somebody (I doubt it was Steve) lost the detail in translation re date and probably the only image they had to hand at the time. It can be adjusted in time and should not detract from a nice day had by those able to attend. An event of this nature should have taken months to organise but on the whole I think it went along pretty well given the circumstances. Gina was on top form and gave of herself freely and spent time with many people asking questions about her father and the Bluebird. I spent most of my time showing a recent picture of K7 and explaining how she was coming together. People were overwhelmed at the hard work and passion that was being put into returning K7 to the water having seen her recovered back in 2001.
Novie Dzinora
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"