rob565uk

Re: 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea - The Diving Thread

Post by rob565uk » Sun May 31, 2015 5:39 pm

Stunningly beautiful down there Richie.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:51 am

Richie wrote:Well got back from Cyprus.... week wasted, one dive, no wrecks.......sick and fed up
That's a real shame. Did your eustachian tubes let you down? :(
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

Richie

Post by Richie » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:32 am

No equalised perfectly, all be it as you can see, to clear my right side I have to stretch my neck a wee bit.
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:54 pm

Well, I did eventually get to dive the Beaufighter; 5th dive of the holiday and final dive of the PADI Deep Diver Speciality course. 38 metres down and superb visibility, just like in this video which was what made me so keen to dive this site in the first place. I'm a happy bunny. 8-)

No dives now for a couple of days so a few scoops to celebrate, then back in the water on Friday for a look around HMS Maori, bombed and sunk in Valletta harbour during WW2.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:08 am

The Beaufighter is a rare bird indeed. Anyone who'd like to see one without diving off Malta can do so at Scotland's National Museum of Flight, at East Fortune airfield near Edinburgh. It's a former Portugese air-force example, and the last time I visited it was all in big chunks undergoing restoration. It's in decent order though, and almost all of the major parts are there.

East Fortune's well worth a look. There's a Concorde there, splendidly displayed in its own hangar - a far cry from the lacklustre Brooklands Concorde offering.

http://www.nms.ac.uk/national-museum-of-flight/

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/album.php?p=367

Nigel

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:28 pm

quicksilver-wsr wrote:The Beaufighter is a rare bird indeed. Anyone who'd like to see one without diving off Malta can do so at Scotland's National Museum of Flight, at East Fortune airfield near Edinburgh. Nigel
There's also a nice one in the sea off Naxos, so I understand; right side up and all there. Must dive that one before I get too old....
East Fortune brings back memories!
More years ago than I care to remember (oh alright, it was 1997), I had been flying Jetstream 31's to earn my daily bread and was, by chance, the first pilot at my base to be converted on to the Jetstream 41, which, although ostensibly a simple stretch, was actually a very different aircraft. Having finished the simulator training, I was sent to Edinburgh to fly some line sectors, taking the opportunity to visit East Fortune while I was there. I was delighted to find not one, but two J.31's on display there and wasted no time in informing my colleagues back in Leeds that they were still flying museum pieces... :lol:

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:09 pm

mtskull wrote:I was delighted to find not one, but two J.31's on display there and wasted no time in informing my colleagues back in Leeds that they were still flying museum pieces... :lol:
Interestingly enough, Jackie Stewart was still using a Jetstream as his personal transport some time after they ceased being fashionable.

Must have been something to do with it being a Scottish Aviation aircraft after Handley Page folded.

Nigel

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:29 am

I once flew from Birmingham to Newcastle on a J.31 and halfway back we flew into a torrential rainstorm. I remember seeing the raindrops stretched into stripes of while light under the strobes and when we touched down all hell broke loose. The aircraft went completely out of control and slid sideways up the runway with lots of things in the cockpit going, whoop! whoop! whoop!
At one point the curtain separating the terrified passengers from the terrified flight crew was wafted aside and we all got a glimpse at the fact that we were all in this together. Eventually we skated to a standstill facing the wrong way. A most memorable flight for all the wrong reasons.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes

Voltaire's apology when he wrote a long letter: "I didn't have time to make it shorter."

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:52 am

Renegadenemo wrote:I once flew from Birmingham to Newcastle on a J.31 and halfway back we flew into a torrential rainstorm. I remember seeing the raindrops stretched into stripes of while light under the strobes and when we touched down all hell broke loose. The aircraft went completely out of control and slid sideways up the runway with lots of things in the cockpit going, whoop! whoop! whoop!
At one point the curtain separating the terrified passengers from the terrified flight crew was wafted aside and we all got a glimpse at the fact that we were all in this together. Eventually we skated to a standstill facing the wrong way. A most memorable flight for all the wrong reasons.
Scary stuff. The 25 knot crosswind limit was always a bit limiting; add the gusts and wet runway and there's the recipe for what you described.

Anyway, getting a wee bit off thread methinks.
What do you know about HMS Maori? I'll be diving on the wreck this afternoon :)

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:06 pm

Didn't get to dive HMS Maori after all; just a bit too much breeze for the vis. to be any good. Dived the Carolita barge instead, which not only turned out to be a nice easy dive but also turned out to have quite an interesting history: http://www.subwayscuba.com/divesubway/x-lighter.html
BTW, I didn't dive with this organisation, they just happened to have some good info on their site...