14th Lift Anniversary

ace_chris

Re: 14th Lift Anniversary

Post by ace_chris »

I am quite prepared to accept that Donald might have been prickly about people clambering into the boat who didn't know what they were doing, invading his space and possibly damaging something with their clumsy feet, but plenty of people close to Donald got in the cockpit.

Nigel[/quote]

That's all well and good, but for someone else to pilot K7, who wasn't a member of the inner sanctum of Ken, Leo etc, would Donald really have been so keen? Clearly ATL is the culprit here, Donald's insecurities highlighted for dramatic effect no doubt.

Nigel, how would you feel if someone else was to pilot Quicksilver (and take a world record) after all of the years of blood, sweat, tears and money that have gone into the project?
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

They're all good points, Chris, and very well made. But don't forget that Donald has been gone now for the best part of half a century, so any sensitivities that might be attributed to him have to a certain extent to be tempered by the passage of time.

It's a subject many people will have strong feelings about, I know that, and I'm only expressing my own opinions here - which is all one can really do on a forum: especially me, as an "outsider" not directly involved in the BBP - but I feel that with the "inner sanctum" of Donald's people all now long gone, we have to face the situation as it is today: 2015. If the boat is going to run again, short of asking Gina or Don to drive it, I don't see there is any alternative but to pick a driver who is from outside of the Campbell fold but who nonetheless has the total respect of the BBP team.

As for my own position with Quicksilver, of course it would hurt like hell to see my dream dashed and to find that that dreaded thing - the passage of time - had finally put paid to my plans. But, frankly, as I've got older it's something I am prepared for, if it happens, as I've come to realise that it's all about the team effort at the end of the day, and no-one has a right to expect all their wishes and dreams to come true.

Time will tell what happens with me. But as sure as God made little green apples I'd want someone to carry on the work if I was gone.

I think that's why we need to get accustomed to the fact that Donald won't be driving K7 again, and Ken and Leo won't be there to watch it when it next runs, but that time has moved on and a new bunch of people are determined that all of that fabulous history is going to be preserved as a living, breathing thing for this and future generations to enjoy.

Nigel
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Thanks Nigel, I think there is much to be said for carrying on the work of others and "flying the flag"

Regards

Chris
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

I think there's a difference between seeing someone else at the wheel while you're still around and saying "If it all goes horribly wrong, I want the team to carry on without me". It distinctly sounds as if DMC had the latter in mind.

The closest I've come was running the lighting desk for a stage show on numerous occasions. Would I have been happy to see someone else in the seat? Not really, as I'd put the hours in to rig it and make the cues work in the real world (they often seem to have been written for a trained octopus). However, if I'd been creamed by a rogue lorry on the way to the theatre that evening or managed to plug myself into the mains instead of the desk...
Matt in Mid Wales
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

It all depends on the circumstances.

Richard stepped to one side and let Andy drive ThrustSSC. Richard had nothing left to prove, so this was a good example of someone being happy to be replaced.

In other circumstances, it can be painful and upsetting to be replaced. It's all down to whether someone is choosing their own destiny or having it chosen for them by somebody else.

Nigel
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Can we have more pix of K7 please? All round views? Cockpit?
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Unfortunately I cant access YouTube from my office. Surprised it allows me on here to be honest lol