Lord Montagu of Beaulieu

Pullman99

Lord Montagu of Beaulieu

Post by Pullman99 »

The Beaulieu Estate has announced that Lord Mantagu has died peacefully earlier today, 31st August. Lord Montagu's achievements in many different fields are the mark of an incredibly busy and influential life. In the world of historic transport he was a figure recognized throughout the world for his contribution to the preservation and continued use of vehicles that sixty or seventy years ago were more likely to be discarded than celebrated. His championing of motoring - both modern and historic, and especially in dealing with the ever changing EU regulations - is of course only part of his legacy.

He was present at Goodwood in 1960 when Donald Campbell debuted Bluebird CN7 and, on that occasion, drove Sir Malcolm's Sunbeam 350hp Sunbeam. Bluebird K7 was briefly on show in the 1959 built Montagu Motor Museum - founded by Lord Montagu in 1952 - before heading to Australia in 1963.

The National Motor Museum, with its record breakers display very much at its centre, is undoubtedly the pinnacle of that and remains one of Britain's greatest visitor attractions as well as aiding the creation and development of many museums worldwide. Somehow, next weekend's International Autojumble - a name that he invented back in 1967 - will never be quite the same.

RIP
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
f1steveuk

Re: Lord Montagu of Beaulieu

Post by f1steveuk »

Another one of those incredibly helpful, generous people who have had the pleasure of knowing and being involved with on various book and TV projects.

Indeed, K7 was removed from Beaulieu for the Orpheus conversion in 1966, and Edward and DC were quite the party duo in London in the 1950s and 60s.

Not that many years ago I was sitting in his private library, making notes from some of his father's journals ( his father had suggested an M25 style circular road system in 1920 odd, saying it should have at least ten lanes in either direction to allow for the growth of the motor car, and yet here we are with no where near that still, and massive congestion!!!). Anyway, he came in with a mug of tea for me, and was obviously struggling through age, he had even begun to look old, as we all do. I asked him a question about something, and he quite matter of fact said, "I don't know, let's ring my mother"!!!! He later said she was well into her hundreds and I expected him to follow the family trend, but he wasn't a well man.

I'm sure, even though he's more of a steam train man, Ralph, the new Lord Montagu will keep Beaulieu at the forefront of motor museum's and continue his father's legacy.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Hello Steve,

I couldn't quite remember the sequence of events for K7's display at Beaulieu and it certainly (along with CN7) spent a bit of a nomadic existence after the 1964 "double" including a stint at Belle Vue in Manchester. I have seen a coupe of pics of K7 in the old Montagu Motor Museum (the present building opened in July 1972) so that means that - apart from the CN7 Goodwood launch / relaunch in 1960 and 1962 and Belle Vue - they have never been displayed together publicly in the UK.

I did meet Lord Montagu's mother, the Hon. Mrs Pleydell-Bouverie, several times at Bdeaulieu and remember her as a very energetic indivudual well into old age and with a truly amzing memory. As you say, Ralph Montagu has a definite interest in steam but he has also been very much hands-on with the Esatte for quite a few years now and I must say that the visitor experience at Beaulieu remains at the highest level. There is no doubt that from the opening of Palace House in 1952, Beaulieu has been hugely influential on heritage conservation and museum develoipment throiught the world and I am sure that Edward Montagu's contribution to that will be recognised to an ever greater degree not only today but in years to come as well.
Last edited by Pullman99 on Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Robinson
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Without this mans vision of opening Beaulieu House /Motor Museum and making it what it is today I for one would not have discovered CN7 and Donald Campbell. As a boy seeing those magnificent record breaking cars in the early seventies i.e Golden Arrow,The Slug ,350 HP Sunbeam and The CN7 inspired me to research D.C and once I had laid eyes on K7 I was hooked. Condolences to his Family and Friends and long may the good work continue. I only ever met Lord Montagu once on the 12th September 2001 being Chief Usher at The Celebration of Donald Campbell's Life. He was a quietly spoken man I recognized him as he entered the Church that day. Staff at Beaulieu in the past have always been most helpful during our Speed Record club visits there. The most memorable for me was when Ken Norris gave us a talk. It was a bit worrying at first when Ken held a brick in one hand! But Ken proceeded to explain all about what shape best makes for a record breaking boat.

The CN7 and K7 did a tour of the country in 1965 and were on public display together at various U.K locations such as Harrogate, Stoke On Trent Etc.
Yours respectfully
Novie Dzinora
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Thanks to Novie, I am reminded that the two record breakers did indeed tour some UK venues after 1964. I was thinking primarily of more permanent locations in this instance. It would be nice to see some pics if anyone has any.
Ian Robinson