John 'Futch' Futcher

Renegadenemo

Re: John 'Futch' Futcher

Post by Renegadenemo »

It was John's funeral yesterday so that's the end of that but we do have some books coming over in the next couple of weeks. There will only be about a dozen and there won't be a reprint so it's a case of first come, first served.

If you would like a copy please let us know.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
sbt

Post by sbt »

If you have the text in electronic form (and sufficient rights to the content) then you can publish as an EBook after a little fiddling. And if you don't its not a massive effort these days to scan and use Optical Character Recognition to give you the text.

That would make the book available on a continuous basis and enable people like me, who have no space for extra books and hence only read ebooks, to buy a copy.

You could also go 'Print on Demand' in parallel. The cost to the purchaser would be higher than the initial print run but it would keep the book available to those who absolutely HAD to have a 'Dead Tree' edition.
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

Couldn't agree more Mike, you can't beat the feel and smell of a proper book.
This shop is one of my favourite places and I can while away many an hour searching out interesting books. I recommend a visit.
http://www.nothingtoseehere.net/2009/03 ... ecamb.html

Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Yes - real books are made of paper and that's that!

ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

never tried a Kindle then.......?
fine tech. ;)
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

never tried a Kindle then.......?
I have a Kindle and it's OK insofar as what it does, which is enable me to go on holiday without a dozen paperbacks using up my luggage allowance. It also allows me to read a book inexpensively before I decide whether or not to buy a real one for my bookshelf (which I can then fetch down to show the children when helping with homework and such, (difficult with a Kindle)) plus it lets me read the occasional fiction novel without really owning a book I wouldn't read twice.
On the downside, though, although there's a little caption in the bottom corner to tell me what percentage of the book I've read it doesn't give any indication of how big the book actually is so it's a percentage of what, exactly? Which is worse than useless. Nor does it provide the thrill of having only a handful of unread pages in one's right hand as a spur to staying up late to finish it.

But most of all, a Kindle doesn't help you to own an extensive and interesting collection of real books. I have all my music on my computer and on various USB widgetmabobs for the car and such but I also have it all on CD too with pretty album covers and sleeve notes. They are nice things to own.

Next it'll be, why bother going to the Lake District when you can lie in the bath and watch it go by on your 3D virtual reality goggles plugged into the Cumbria app in your phone? I mean - why would you?

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Renegadenemo wrote:Next it'll be, why bother going to the Lake District when you can lie in the bath and watch it go by on your 3D virtual reality goggles plugged into the Cumbria app in your phone? I mean - why would you?
Agree absolutely !!

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
huszarail

Post by huszarail »

Not any more!
I'm only a man from Del Monte..........
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Well those fairly flew out the door. If anyone wanted one and.missed out let us know and we'll have a word and see if there's a spare copy or two in Oz.

lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase »

Hi Bill,
I tried to order one when I first heard about the book, and I tried again yesterday but couldn't log-in. Please try to get one for me. Fred