Warby's Spirit of Australia II

Mike Bull

Re: Warby's Spirit of Australia II

Post by Mike Bull » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:52 am

Good clip of the boat starting, moving at idle, then shooting off as the engine is floored-

https://www.facebook.com/warbymotorspor ... 5511362949
'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:51 am

Wowee! That gets along. I bet that lumbering old bus of ours doesn't go like that.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:16 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:51 am
I bet that lumbering old bus of ours doesn't go like that.
Perhaps all the better for that as the Loch is not as long as Blowering, although both has a dam.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England

wbjohn

Post by wbjohn » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:34 pm

Spirit 2 powering off into the distance, jaw dropping and beautiful....

Blowtorch

Post by Blowtorch » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Converting the Orph to an electric starter/generator, has made a huge difference. So easy to spin the engine up. We have 36volts (3 x 12v batteries) in the boat for the starter and the generator tops them back up while the boat is running.
A couple of issues to solve before the next run but with 200mph on the clock, we are happy with the staged progress and we will push the speed up a little more during the next visit to Blowering.
A very wise man once told me..."Softly, softly catch the monkey."

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Converting the Orph to an electric starter/generator, has made a huge difference. So easy to spin the engine up. We have 36volts (3 x 12v batteries) in the boat for the starter and the generator tops them back up while the boat is running.
Would be nice to have such freedom. We'd really struggle to stow an extra battery. It would have to go either right up in the nose where we need extra weight the least or in one of the sponson tops. There is quite literally not a spare millimetre in which we could fit it. And then, of course, we'd have to depart from the historic correctness of that explosive, high-pressure air starting. If we use our other Orph's for something in the future we'll likely convert them.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:13 am

Renegadenemo wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:49 pm
Would be nice to have such freedom. We'd really struggle to stow an extra battery. It would have to go either right up in the nose where we need extra weight the least or in one of the sponson tops. There is quite literally not a spare millimetre in which we could fit it. And then, of course, we'd have to depart from the historic correctness of that explosive, high-pressure air starting. If we use our other Orph's for something in the future we'll likely convert them.
Sorry, I don't see the advantage of Electric Start, here. Perhaps @Blowtorch might explain why its been done, for SoA 2...?

I struggle to think of any Gas Turbine I worked on which had Electric Start.... Err, Industrial Avon (massive motor, in front on the intake, connected to the nose bullet by a scaffold pole size shaft) Generally, Electric Starters got removed and replaced with Air Starters, on the earlier engines - Olympus for instance (Air Start was adopted to give faster starting). Given a free choice, with no limits on size of weight, Hydraulic starting was the fave for Industrial engines - but you need a Lorry size Diesel engine to drive the Hydraulic pack....

ozjet400

Post by ozjet400 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:03 am

Simple, ease of operation on water, multiple starts with no waiting , operating in a remote location, plus an experienced team with electric start jet engines,

If the boat was being fired up at an airport every time, air start would be perfect , but it’s not

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:07 am

Having been around Bluebird's air starter in action quite a few(!) times, I'd say the advantage with electric is obvious- it has less chance of exploding and killing you!
'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:18 am

I follow the experience with Electric start argument. Multiple starts would be subject to whatever the limits are on the Starter Motor and/or the Battery packs.

I do not think an Air Starter is likely to kill you, if used correctly. If you REALLY think that, perhaps you should go Electric ASAP.