Getting on the Water

Renegadenemo

Getting on the Water

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:23 pm

As it's 2018 (gulp!) and a Happy New Year to you all, by the way, I though it about time the matter of putting the boat back on the water appeared on the forum.

Seeing as the only part we don't have is a canopy - and that's in process - we could in theory have the boat together and able to float and run in quite a short time-frame. The launch and recovery cradle isn't built yet but it's not far away so all we're really waiting on is the Cumbrian side of things to polish up their plans and issue the invite.
We've also decided to slot an extra step into the process in the interests of doing a thorough job because going to Coniston will be a big deal and we don't want to turn up there to find we're hopeless at getting the boat on and off the trailer or starting the engine whilst afloat. We don't want to have to spend a fortnight learning to handle her if we're only there for a fortnight. So, to this end, we're looking at a crew training exercise on the water later this year on a private lake. It's far from finalised so no dates yet but it will let us get some valuable learning done ahead of returning to Coniston, which assuming all the bureaucrats, committees and whatever get their heads together and fast-track it, it could be as early as Easter 2019. You heard it here first folks so with a bit of luck they'll find a suitable roll of red carpet so the BBP can rock up and put on the mother of all shows. Cross all your fingers and toes!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Richie

Re: Getting on the Water

Post by Richie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Holy canoly !

Bill gave a when !!

Talk about a mind blow !!
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

midlife

Post by midlife » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:44 pm

I’m stunned...........
I’d love to help if at all possible.
I could even bring balloons hehe!
Cheers
Wayne

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:49 pm

Now don't be getting too excited here.
The crew training should present few difficulties as the landowner has the power to simply say yes and it's in the bag but between there and getting back to Coniston there's a whole raft of committees, councils, bureaucrats and imbeciles who exist for no other reason than to turn a simple process into something near impossible.

A fiver says they drop the ball... but we can live in hope.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

polo

Post by polo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:02 pm

I'll put my head on the block and offer my services.
For the last 4yrs I have been launching and recovering all manner of race boats from Formula 2[ National and club meets] through to 25ft race phantoms [[club racing with Lancashire Powerboat racing club and the Windermere club] Also acted as safety cover with the Osprey rescue team who do all the rescue cover for all the UIM racing all over the world. I would be happy to speak to the Osprey team to see if they will bring along a rescue boat and other volunteers. My other experience is with Vladivar, Miss Windermere 6, Albatross and K8.
I even had the pleasure of going to the assistance of a broken down Jeremy Clarkson ant the Coniston records week this year!

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:54 am

For the crew training we'll be keeping it tight and within our own group simply to develop enough of a skill base such that each of us can pass on what we learned when the time comes to do it on a much larger scale. Then we'll be recruiting...

With regard to the Osprey crew, I spoke with one of them soon after the tribute act almost sank and was shocked to hear how difficult it was to swim a line down whilst wearing a drysuit. Seems they had no weight belts and were positively buoyant throughout!
Not wishing to take anything away from them whatsoever because they do a fine job, I think I'd be more comfortable with a crew of North Sea wreck ferrets who'll happily kit in and crash around on the bottom in zero visibility all afternoon for fun.

Which leads neatly to another point.

For all the romantic wibble about how K7 must run on Coniston, and I get it to a point though any suitable stretch of water will do for me, the shallower the better, no one has ever said, but it's deep and horrible and if you drop the boat what kind of a job would it be to get her back out and what sort of damage would result from the pressure increase as she sank? Anyone remember the state of the fuel tank? and what would the sponson tops do if they were dragged under whilst full of air?

This is why we keep telling the bureaucrats we must operate in fine weather with long days. We're simply not going to run the machine we've spent ten years rebuilding on cold, lumpy water with the possibility of having to run a salvage operation in 40m of water in the middle of winter. Did that once and once is plenty!

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:25 am

Super!
I'll fall in line whenever.

sheppane

Post by sheppane » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:56 pm

What wonderful news. A very welcome new years present for all of us, and perhaps the most apt day to announce it. Thanks Bill.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. http://www.bluebirdk7.com

sheppane

Post by sheppane » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:15 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:54 am
For the crew training we'll be keeping it tight and within our own group simply to develop enough of a skill base such that each of us can pass on what we learned when the time comes to do it on a much larger scale. Then we'll be recruiting...

With regard to the Osprey crew, I spoke with one of them soon after the tribute act almost sank and was shocked to hear how difficult it was to swim a line down whilst wearing a drysuit. Seems they had no weight belts and were positively buoyant throughout!
Not wishing to take anything away from them whatsoever because they do a fine job, I think I'd be more comfortable with a crew of North Sea wreck ferrets who'll happily kit in and crash around on the bottom in zero visibility all afternoon for fun.

Which leads neatly to another point.

For all the romantic wibble about how K7 must run on Coniston, and I get it to a point though any suitable stretch of water will do for me, the shallower the better, no one has ever said, but it's deep and horrible and if you drop the boat what kind of a job would it be to get her back out and what sort of damage would result from the pressure increase as she sank? Anyone remember the state of the fuel tank? and what would the sponson tops do if they were dragged under whilst full of air?

This is why we keep telling the bureaucrats we must operate in fine weather with long days. We're simply not going to run the machine we've spent ten years rebuilding on cold, lumpy water with the possibility of having to run a salvage operation in 40m of water in the middle of winter. Did that once and once is plenty!
Bill, what about the National Watersports Centre in Nottinghamshire. 2km long, and only 4m deep. Very useful for low speed handling practice and I would imagine pretty good facilities too. Just a thought.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. http://www.bluebirdk7.com

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:10 am

Bill, what about the National Watersports Centre in Nottinghamshire. 2km long, and only 4m deep. Very useful for low speed handling practice and I would imagine pretty good facilities too. Just a thought.
Hi Neil, good to hear from you after so long. Give us a week or two and we can hopefully offer a way better location full of romance and history and excitement and far more befitting all the hard work to get us there. You'll like it...

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.