Rebuild

Vernon

Rebuild

Post by Vernon »

Hi
I was recently looking at pictures of the rebuild. I noticed that both of bluebird sponsons ( the bottom halfs) were blue. Are these the original? As shortly after the crash In 67 both bottom halves were retrieved.
Thanks
Renegadenemo

Re: Rebuild

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Vernon.

The original sponsons were scrapped at the end of 1967 so far as we can ascertain so our were entirely new build. We painted then blue from the off because there was never any question that they were new and not a green repair on top of something original. Some videos for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McArOUbw6fo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scz9yCj6I-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqAnhvp2mvE

Enjoy...
Bill
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

New forum member here after recently finding out about the recovery of Bluebird by accident . Saw a british tv show here in Canada with penelope keith who was in Coniston and the whole Bluebird story was mentioned and started googling .
I just want to commend all the people involved on the team , the work you have done defies comprehension.
I have restored old Austin Healeys but that pales in comparison to what you all have acheived .
I have been a speed follower since being a child when I visited Bealieu Motor museum in the UK , I was only four in 67 but am very familiar with the Bluebird history and have spent many many hours in the lake district as a child .
I find myself drawn to see the progress and actually get emotional seeing the progress .
Its on my bucket list to see her run again on the lake when shes ready .
Keep up the amazing work Bill and the team
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

So the burning question is (and forgive me if this has already been asked/answered )
Will Mr Whoppitt be in the cockpit when she returns to the Lake for the ceremonial run .
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
Richie

Post by Richie »

That bear is a jinx.

Crashed with Donald and crashed with Gina.

Up to Bill, Ted / Stew

And Gina of course.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

No desire for superstition here, personally the bear has done enough and is too well regarded :) .....
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Yes, I think Mr Whoppit should now be considered retired.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Best keep an eye on him come launch time... that bear has a mischievous streak to him

I can sense it !!
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."