Return to the Water

Renegadenemo

Re: Return to the Water

Post by Renegadenemo »

No, unfortunately not a peep. I've called and left messages and you'd imagine there'd be quite a desire to open dialogue rather than posting statements that can be dismantled in a heartbeat. But, no. Never mind, we have more to think about right now so they have time to sort themselves out and learn from how the lOB community do things.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Not sure who will look in at this forum, but in the hope of getting co-operation rather than confrontation I will not post any of the correspondence sent directly to me during the period of time I was representing the BBP on the Coniston Event Working Group.

I will not be attending the next programmed Event Working Group Meeting, so those involved can discuss the recent 'happenings' between themselves.

[My telephone has been silent too].

Malcolm Ops.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I will not be attending the next programmed Event Working Group Meeting, so those involved can discuss the recent 'happenings' between themselves.
I was invited but I declined. Or rather we were invited to send a 'representative'. Not that I was ever in the habit of attending anyway, but there is just no point until they get their collective backsides in gear and get things moving.

As a counterpoint, I received an email today from a guy in Greenock who owns a skip hire company. Would we like a skip?

The answer is probably yes but to provide said skip this man is going to have to not only place one of his skips in our service for a fortnight so it'll not be making him money while we have it, but he's also going to have to pay for two return tickets on the ferry for a skip wagon. Why? Because he wants to help.
Had another request to get K7 to the Bute highland games on the 11th so we could shake a tin and garner some pennies for local charities. Said it might be tricky as it's my understanding that the army are taking their fancy truck away. You want cranes? Trucks? Manpower? Leave it to us...

So do I want to attend a Coming Home Festival Working Group Committee Whatever it's Called meeting to be told that soon as that big sponsor pops a blank cheque book in the post all will be well? Erm, not really...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Took a long and enjoyable phone call tonight - not an email - from a member of the Coniston community whom I've hugely respected since we met in 2000 suggesting a meeting of myself and prominent members of the LDNPA. This is what invariably happens - panic sets in, let's have a meeting. My response was yes, but only when we've had sight of their written proposals for removing the obstacles. Noteworthy, also, is that contact was made via a third party and not directly. Shameful, isn't it. It's about time the whole vanilla flavoured 'authority' was ousted and replaced with a team that actually has the best interests of the Lake District at heart. Why, exactly, is their chief executive away from his desk at this crucial juncture?
So, if their proposals arrive and Malcolm and I are sufficiently impressed I'm sure we'll go to the table.
That then leaves the village to organise themselves, work as one to plan their world-class event and, with a lot of quick and double-hard work, the plan to run on Coniston in August 19 may just be hefted back onto the rails - we'll see.

I was also informed that there's a lot of 'tittle-tattle' in the village so should anyone have any questions of the BBP please feel free to pick up the phone and we'll be glad to answer them.

And, once again for the record, the BBP still views Coniston Water as our 'gold medal' position for the proving trials, but we simply cannot make it happen until everyone works together towards that common goal.

sbt

Post by sbt »

This sort of conflict is definitely not 'my thing' but if there is a lot of 'tittle-tattle' going the rounds then would a (easy to find, probably temporary) Frequently Asked Questions page on the website be useful? That way you can put out answers to the questions you have already got to hear about, refutations to dodgy beliefs and save yourself and others phone calls that cover the same issues. Maybe start with:

Q: I have a question about the trials of K7 at Coniston. How do I get it answered?

A: Ask your question via <Relevant contact details, or how to get them>. Please be aware that we are all volunteers and whilst we will be as helpful as possible our response time and the way we phrase that response will not be what you would expect from an official body. After we have answered your question we will repeat you question and our answer, (both subject to editing), on this page.

Also maybe include near the top:

Q: Do the BBP still intend to run Bluebird K7 on Consiton Water?

A: The BBP still views Coniston Water as our 'gold medal' position for the proving trials, but we simply cannot make it happen until everyone works together towards that common goal.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It's a good idea in principle but the problem is that people believe what they want to believe. A good example is that some imagine Sky News have installed a pipeline into my bank account down which cash is pumped at high volume and pressure and if only they could work out how to tap into it... Others have long maintained that the whole effort was a conspiracy by the BBC (again for which we we're handsomely rewarded) or that we've always intended to steal K7 and take her on a world tour (in order to be handsomely rewarded).

No amount of being transparent and honest will deviate these people so they endlessly put the poison in.

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Had to look back in time to check a date and way back on this forum was the topic ' Byelaw Amendment for K7'.

Even back then the BBP was not confident that we would be allowed to run K7 on Coniston Water ....... so there was chat of the Plan B for the Proving Trials (yes, plural was in use). I have been dusting off an old file .........

Malcolm
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

An interesting day today - and credit to certain individuals for returning calls. Thank you for that.

Got a better look at the naughtiness perpetrated against Malcolm by the LDNPA too. We have black and white documentation dated June 2008 setting out our requirements for good weather and including all ages in the proving trials, not to mention many references over the years on our website and forum to the same effect, and that's without the countless meetings attended by the both of us where we made the point time and again. Yet, when we went suggesting in late 2017 that it was maybe time to set something in stone, we we were told of a 'presumption' going all the way back to the byelaw application that stated,

"no weekend, no bank holidays, no school holidays". That was what we were told at the time, apparently. I think you'll find it wasn't, Mr. LDNPA.

Naughty, naughty. Because had any such thing been suggested back then we'd have baled out or fixed it. It transpired that what we were handed in late 2017 were doctored documents pertaining to Windermere that contain this presumption. It certainly wasn't mentioned back in the day. Oh how I love Malcolm's religious documentation of everything.

So - moving on - I've been invited to attend all sorts of panic-induced councils of war these past few days, all with a view to getting K7 onto Coniston Water with minimal embarrassment to those who should have had their part of the job in hand just as we have all this time at the BBP, and my answer is always an emphatic 'yes' but with the condition that I'll only attend to go through a list of positive points in writing proposed by the chief obstacle-makers in this process so we can knock over the identified problems and move forwards - and the LDNPA is far and away not the only defendant.

Guess what...

Moving on again, we're told that the LDNPA 'can't' do this or that. Cuts no ice with the BBP whose mantra has always been that 'there's no such word as can't'. Can't is simply a contraction of 'cannot be bothered to, or am incapable of, solving the problem at hand'. Seems they await an application that certainly isn't coming from us. Bob Cartwright of the LDNPA, now long retired, told us when we first hopefully embarked on this journey that they,

'Wanted world class attractions to sustain the park'.

That was good enough for us, he was a cracking bloke, and we took the LDNPA at its word so depending upon what his successors make of his vision they either need to declare their apathy or grow a pair.

And finally... the most staggering demonstration of parochialism I have ever encountered, without question. (and not from the LDNPA, in their defence) came when discussing the timing and its relevance to inspiring the kids. Some of the dates discussed recently (when the next generation was locked up in school and therefore unable to attend) were held up as justifiable because,

"All the schools round here [Cumbria] will arrange a special day to come and see Bluebird."

"And what about the schools around here?" [the rest of the UK] I asked.

Possibly the longest silence I've ever heard down a phone line...

Techteam

Post by Techteam »

AH, the joys of dealing with the LDNPA, on the one hand if it's what they want, you will do as we say and if it's not what they want, it's we have no authority to decide or change that. There are a lot of Tits sorry it's there.
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

For those who did not follow the three day exchange of views on a facebook site hosted by a K7 historian, I have taken a moment to wonder why this phrase was used by the LDNPA? [I think their legal eagle had looked over every word being used.]

"Bluebird K7 could be launched on Coniston now and run under power up to 10mph"

As it was written: the LDNPA knows that the boat known as K7 is not ready, (but it will be operable by August); the LDNPA should understand that cruising around at 10mph in displacement mode is not how this craft is to be remembered, (the wording of the Proving Trial was written to overcome this); there are no LDNPA 'timing of the event' restrictions set down in the posting (could 'now' mean during any school holiday period?).

I am still wondering, but would it be reasonable to suggest that in 2019 that is how they want the return of K7 to proceed?
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England