Carl Spencer

Renegadenemo

Re: Carl Spencer

Post by Renegadenemo »

Carl Heli.jpg
Yes, six years on and the bugger is still dead and I still miss him every day of my life. And he still owes me £165 quid in petrol money for that helicopter of his! Wait 'til I see him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Would have loved to have met the guy, but alas it was not meant to be. He will be laughing at you as we speak waving a fist full of tenners as if to say HA..HA ! But just tell him he isn't getting his heater back !
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Just chanced across this on YouTube. Not seen it in years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJLHccZ ... zUzLeX6CtB

Richie

Post by Richie »

Great doc... Nice to see him being interviewed etc, on the other Britannic documentaries (of which there are a few) he always seemed to have a cameo role.

Also is it just me or is Simon, the wrecks owner, actually the guy that used to be on the TV in the 80's and very early 90's who was a wildlife guru ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Having a couple of rare days off work and managed to watch the link to "The Curse of the sisters ships". Fascinating stuff and well worth a watch. This put me on to another link on U Tube re the Japaneses actually using midget subs to attack Pearl Harbour fascinating never heard that mentioned in Tora Tora Tora movie :D . In their investigation they searched for No. 5 Midget sub to see if infact it had released its torpedo's, what a coincidence as Carl was working on finding out whatever happened to X5 midget submarine during World War II and whether or not she had laid its charges under the German battleship the Tirpitz ? Henti Creer was described to me as being a very unorthodox person or wording to to that effect to strong to repeat here. Would be nice one day though to go try out that theory Mr. Smith and what a prize it would be if found without charges :you could then dedicate it to your old pal Carl Spencer's memory.
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Richie

Post by Richie »

just been browsing and happened across this web site

http://www.richiekohler.com/project-fil ... xpedition/
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Ahh, Richie Kohler. last saw him at Eurotech where I was presenting and he was bragging about having got a centimetre further into the boiler room than Rich Stevenson who taught me on rebreather and laid the lines in 2003 that Kohler followed into the boiler room all those years later.
The details about Carl's accident are essentially correct though they give the impression that his rigging of a bottle of air was inexplicable. In fact I was surprised to learn that the exped had deleted that bottle because all the time I was tech-diving we always rigged a bottle in that position and it was always air. Carl arrived late and asked what was to be done. The previous day had seen the strongest current ever experienced by any of the Britannic divers (and they were all veterans) and a piece of rigging had carried away so Carl was invited to re-rig it. That piece of rigging had always included a bottle of air to be available at about 45m depth so he rigged it as he'd always done.
He then put it in the support boat so next morning its crew just assumed that the bottle had been reinstated and deployed it as they had always done. First the divers knew about it was when they saw it on the way down but it's hard to have a meeting with a 'breather loop in your mouth. Of course Carl baled onto that bottle. It said air when every bottle around him was filled with some fancy mix and the mental gymnastics involved in working out whether you can actually breathe it and, if so, for how long, is very demanding. Air is narcotic at 45m but we know how to deal with that. But it was mis-labelled and that was the final gotcha. O2 at that pressure is a nerve poison and he was quickly incapacitated.

If you want to know what really killed Carl Spencer it was his not being selected as the UK's first astronaut - but that's another story...