Carl Spencer

Mike Bull

Re: Carl Spencer

Post by Mike Bull » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:15 pm

The X5 thing is a fascinating story- it's certainly gripped all those here that Bill has related it to. Just where the hell did it go?!

Richie

Post by Richie » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:11 pm

just been browsing and happened across this web site

http://www.richiekohler.com/project-fil ... xpedition/
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:09 am

Ahh, Richie Kohler. last saw him at Eurotech where I was presenting and he was bragging about having got a centimetre further into the boiler room than Rich Stevenson who taught me on rebreather and laid the lines in 2003 that Kohler followed into the boiler room all those years later.
The details about Carl's accident are essentially correct though they give the impression that his rigging of a bottle of air was inexplicable. In fact I was surprised to learn that the exped had deleted that bottle because all the time I was tech-diving we always rigged a bottle in that position and it was always air. Carl arrived late and asked what was to be done. The previous day had seen the strongest current ever experienced by any of the Britannic divers (and they were all veterans) and a piece of rigging had carried away so Carl was invited to re-rig it. That piece of rigging had always included a bottle of air to be available at about 45m depth so he rigged it as he'd always done.
He then put it in the support boat so next morning its crew just assumed that the bottle had been reinstated and deployed it as they had always done. First the divers knew about it was when they saw it on the way down but it's hard to have a meeting with a 'breather loop in your mouth. Of course Carl baled onto that bottle. It said air when every bottle around him was filled with some fancy mix and the mental gymnastics involved in working out whether you can actually breathe it and, if so, for how long, is very demanding. Air is narcotic at 45m but we know how to deal with that. But it was mis-labelled and that was the final gotcha. O2 at that pressure is a nerve poison and he was quickly incapacitated.

If you want to know what really killed Carl Spencer it was his not being selected as the UK's first astronaut - but that's another story...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.