Isle of Bute

Renegadenemo

Re: Isle of Bute

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Ollie,

Sounds to me like you'd be good guys to have along. I'm back on Bute for a week in April so maybe we could meet up along the way. PM me and we'll get some comm's going.

Bill
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

pumpkinboy1991 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:35 pm It is a derivative of the hovercraft which currently holds the world hovercraft speed record (we hope to use it as our test bed/guinea pig to attempt to break the record in the not-too-distant future). Ollie
Putting another hat on, it will be interesting to see how this WIG craft is categorised by the governing body for water based activity. I look forward to seeing it at Coniston Records Week perhaps.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
pumpkinboy1991

Post by pumpkinboy1991 »

Renegadenemo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:41 am Hi Ollie,

Sounds to me like you'd be good guys to have along. I'm back on Bute for a week in April so maybe we could meet up along the way. PM me and we'll get some comm's going.

Bill
Thanks Bill, tried to PM you but it seems I am too new on the forum to send you a PM! My very professional email address is pumpkinboy1991@hotmail.com if that is of use? (Unless someone can turn on private messaging for me :) )

Would be great to meet you in April,if the timings allow! :D
Malcolm Ops wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 am
pumpkinboy1991 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:35 pm It is a derivative of the hovercraft which currently holds the world hovercraft speed record (we hope to use it as our test bed/guinea pig to attempt to break the record in the not-too-distant future). Ollie
Putting another hat on, it will be interesting to see how this WIG craft is categorised by the governing body for water based activity. I look forward to seeing it at Coniston Records Week perhaps.

Currently it is in the same category as a normal hovercraft, of which generally are lumped in with the "boat" grouping with some small differences, such as having an amber beacon clearly visible when in operation. Given the small number in the world, never mind the UK (I believe ours is probably 1 of 5, but possibly less are in a serviceable condition) it would be a lengthy, and probably costly piece of legislation to put together to cover such a niche vehicle. Even standard hovercraft are a subject that generally tend to be brushed under the carpet with regards to legislation, so add wings and NO ONE wants to even acknowledge its existence! :lol:

On the topic of categorisation, we have discussed various ideas for the design of a hovercraft to attempt the world speed record including ideas such as adding canards for stability and to prevent incidents such as "plow-in" (when the frontal section of the skirt collapses and causes the craft to nose dive) or incidents such as Donald's where getting airborne could cause a tragedy. Using control surfaces such as this takes the design closer to that of an aircraft and subsequently the definition of what constitutes a hovercraft becomes blurry, but yes categorisation is certainly always an interesting topic!
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Which 'craft' holds the WIG speed record (is it the Ekranoplan) and who will acknowledge your achievements as being a new World Record. Perhaps that would be Guinness World Records? Just interested and if there is any 'downtime' in Bute something we can perhaps chat about?
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
kevrust

Post by kevrust »

Hi bill, Its kevin.Dont know if you remember me, try to donate once a month, just booked accomodation on bute. hope i can at last meet you and the team. looking forward to seeing the old girl making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. good luck kev.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Kevin. Of course I remember you - you're a founder member of our supporters. Would be good to meet up on Bute.

StoneRoad

Post by StoneRoad »

I'm keeping an eye on these developments ...
and fingers crossed that the Haltwhistle four can get away for a field (lake) visit.

Best "break a leg" wishes
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi I am new to this forum and sadly have few skills to offer but I would very much like to see the testing. My wife and I are thinking of spending a few days on Bute as self confessed rubberneckers. So as not to be in the way can you suggest where might be able to park our camper van?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

There's a find accommodation page on the Visit Bute website, which is linked from our homepage, or a quick Google might be the answer.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=camp+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

pumpkinboy1991

Post by pumpkinboy1991 »

Malcolm Ops wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:21 pm Which 'craft' holds the WIG speed record (is it the Ekranoplan) and who will acknowledge your achievements as being a new World Record. Perhaps that would be Guinness World Records? Just interested and if there is any 'downtime' in Bute something we can perhaps chat about?
More than happy to chat about it, we are a sociable bunch :) I'm not certain who holds the WIG record. Our attempt will be with a dedicated hovercraft (no wings), but our hoverwing in "hover-only" guise will be a good guinea pig for getting data and info that we can transfer into a hovercraft dedicated to attempting the record. Currently it stands at 85mph (surprisingly low!) set in 1995. I think the point you raised about which body would recognise it is a contributing factor to why the record has never been broken.

Bill, when are you due in Bute this month? Would be keen to meet you for a coffee if you are available at some point. As mentioned, my hands are tied with regards to private messaging you unless I start spamming the forum to meet the criteria :lol:

Cheers,
Ollie