Isle of Bute

Renegadenemo

Isle of Bute

Post by Renegadenemo »

There'll be lots to add to this thread as we get near and no doubt many favours to ask and questions to answer along the way but for now, the answer to the main question.

We plan to travel to Bute on 03 August and return on the 17th. That's a Friday to a Friday. The army is doing our transport, route improvement, installing the slipway, etc. and we'll be based at Loch Fad Fishery. Everyone is welcome.

Any questions?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
midlife

Re: Isle of Bute

Post by midlife »

Thanks for the info Bill, do you have any recommendations on where to stay? I'm planning on coming up for the full two weeks to be a general dogsbody if possible.
Cheers
Wayne

Richie

Post by Richie »

We got enough Ribs / boats etc or do I need to approach some companies ? Scaraab jet boats for example...

If you want to draft up a desired kit list I am happy to make enquiries Bill.

As you know, I have a rather long neck !!
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

A friend of mine has offered a while ago (Malcolm is aware) the use of a fast response power boat should the need arise “i hope it doesn’t” to attend any incident that may occur. And should we need a special classic boat to give our hosts a viewing platform i dare say he would bring one of his Riva boats to relax on and take in the action. At no cost to the project as he understands we are all volunteers.
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

No idea on places to stay, that's off our list but I will be speaking to the various tourism people in the next few days so a list of accommodation options will be on the agenda.

Re boats / divers / rescuers - this is well in hand as we speak so we don't need any more. If this changes I'll put the feelers out but assume it's sorted for now and as for classic boats, they're like classic cars. Great to have around but their owners always want to come with them and get everywhere so we can put that on the list of possible, last-minute luxuries and see how we go.

Kit list - Malcolm has a very thorough kit list, some of which will be brought by the army so we need to see what's not included once the extent of their involvement is finalised and tie up the loose ends at that time.
Malcolm - can you fire the kit list at Rich so he can give it a thinking about? Thanks.

Immediate unsolved items... a source of clean kero on the island. Standard Burning Oil as used in central heating systems is exactly the same substance as Avtur except for how it's handled outside of the refinery and a courlene dye for fuel laundering purposes but shove it down the pipes into your Orph' and it won't know the difference so where can we get it locally?

The other is HP air. We need to blow our starting bottles to 200Bar. There was a diving air compressor in the outhouse at the Agnes Patrick Guest House at Ascog. It was owned by a bloke called Randall Walton. Nice guy, retired cop from our part of the world, and we used to stay with him. Is that compressor still there? In which case can we get the use of it? Probably needs a service. Is there another HP compressor on the island? The fire brigade will have one.

Both items can be brought in if needed so neither is a showstopper but let's look at the easy options first.

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

For those who (like me until early this year) know nothing of the Isle of Bute, here are a few early pointers.

Rothesay is the major town closest to Loch Fad, but the Isle is 'compact' so you may enjoy a stay to the south - you could try Kingarth. As you come off the ferry there is an information centre, but it is best to be prepared before arrival. Maps can be purchased with your coffee on the ferry. OS Landranger 63 is the map to get you to Wemyss Bay and the ferry. Calmac Ferries will get you across the Firth of Clyde, you queue for the next available boat having purchased your ticket.

Should you be discovering Scotland for the first time there is a longer road route but with shorter ferry crossing from Colintraive across the Kyles of Bute to Rhubodach. (Not that this project is worried about scenic :lol: .)

Check for further details with the Argyll and the Isles Tourism people.

Malcolm
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
billzeebub

Post by billzeebub »

Feel a couple of weeks special leave coming on. As someone who was only born in 76 I don't want to risk missing any opportunity to see K7 on/near the water. The bonus is this is a lovely part if the world to hang about. Thanks for all your hard work guys.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Bill, the HP air can also be provided by the Royal Engineers, if not HVAC are good, we used to use them for fillin 8k systems at paintball events.
Last edited by Richie on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Bute

Post by Bute »

Hotels/B&Bs/flats - http://www.visitbute.com/business-direc ... ory/sleep/ or look here - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SmartDeal ... Deals.html - I suggest you book asap as your press release has created a rush :D

if you're needing somewhere secure to store things or something moved by truck try asking John Mackirdy Haulage - johnmackirdy.com

The 2 boatyards on the island are ardmaleishboatbuilding.co.uk and portbannatynemarina.co.uk - they have various trucks, cranes, machines, tools and knowledge between them
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Bottomed another couple of questions today. We can get Kero on the island and have tracked down a couple of HP compressors for our starting. All good.

Our friend, Bute, would you PM me so we can swap contacts rather than working via the forum. I'm on the island for a week in April, would be good to meet up.

Thanks.

Bill