Isle of Bute

Mick Collier

Re: Isle of Bute

Post by Mick Collier »

Thanks for the info.
A couple of the guys with us have a high knowledge of nautical, mechanical and aeronautical engineering. The rest of us can supply muscle! Please give us a shout if you need any assistance.
Especially if you're feeling a bit rough after the games!
Cheers,
Mick.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

As what we're doing is somewhat dangerous with tons of machinery, oodles of compressed gas and gallons of flammable liquid we're going to have to keep everyone roped off and away from us to an extent agreed by our insurers. we're taking a big chunk of public liability cover against the unforeseen but we have to play ball by keeping the foreseen at a respectable distance. That said, once we're safely back on the cradle, out of the water and everything has cooled down and the dangers have been rendered innocuous we may hand out the polishing cloths for the boat and paint brushes for the cradle if anyone wants to get their hands dirty / turned blue.
Anyone found wrong side of the ropes without the relevant pass will be chopped up and fed to the trout.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
pmc

Post by pmc »

Renegadenemo wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:46 am Anyone found wrong side of the ropes without the relevant pass will be chopped up and fed to the trout.
...to ensure their health and safety, of course.

(Bluebird whole in daylight!)
pumpkinboy1991

Post by pumpkinboy1991 »

Hi Bill,

I have yet to meet you as hoped back in April, but it is obvious you are a very busy man and I'm sure the rest of the team are very busy also :D . Hopefully that can happen during the event (and/or at the pub!)

It sounds like you have everything you need in place, but as previously mentioned I live in Greenock and happen to have the 2 weeks off along with a couple of my fellow hoverwing builders. So with that said, if you need something (ie. a tool that you've forgotten to bring!) let me know. We've also just had a new 12m x 6m workshop (hangar!) built for the toys, with a fairly wide/tall roller door should you need some extra storage space for equipment. Like I said, it seems you are already sorted but at least you know you have willing helpers and some space if needed, a short distance from Bute.

Cheers!
Ollie
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

...but at least you know you have willing helpers and some space if needed, a short distance from Bute.
What's most amazing about our approach to Scotland and Bute in particular for permission to run is the unwavering support and offers of help from every possible direction. We may have to call on you for a missing spanner but hopefully we'll have to go no further than raising a glass with you in the local bar. Either way, your offer of support does not go unappreciated. We are so looking forward to our big jolly into the outside world after ten years of incarceration in our workshop.

The_Prof

Post by The_Prof »

Well, that last video with the engine firing up at the end was so exciting - immediate donation triggered from that alone.

I've booked a few days on Bute (11-15th) to hang around, chill out, ride my bike and see what there is to see on Bluebird, so if there's any manpower needed fetching and carrying, making tea, general dogsbody - please put me down to help as it would be a privilege to be involved in some way.

can't wait to see her on the water and say hello to the team.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Out of respect to the Bute community and the MacPhail family some of us will arrive on-island wearing pink so should anyone wish to join us please feel free.

Bill Smith.

mickday

Post by mickday »

Does anyone want two tickets to Bute Highland games on Saturday 11th, where Bluebird will also be exhibited on that day?

I bought four as I had expected some friends to be joining me when I come up, but they have had to call off the trip due to family illness so I only need two now.

They cost me £10 each, but if someone wants them they can have them for free and they can make a donation into the BBP
ThornyBush

Post by ThornyBush »

We are looking forward to seeing you all again on 5th (driving up) or 6th August - can't wait to visit Bute and to see the fruits of your labours again.

We are staying near to the ferry/harbour - any recommendations for places to eat or drink of an evening?

From your previous visits do you have any recommendations for getting to lakeside - walk along from Rothesay or park somewhere near the Fishery?

If we don't bring the bikes, we will have a little space in the car from Shields if you need anything bringing if you find you have forgotten anything - just let me know by message.
"Turned Out Nice Again!"
""There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one."
Motorbikes, Big Blue "Boats", 1/2 Scale Wooden Silver Boats.... and Craft Ales (but not all at the same time)...
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

ThornyBush wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:24 pm recommendations for getting to lakeside - walk along from Rothesay or park somewhere near the Fishery?
If you like a good walk then striding up from Rothesay might be good (not for me though it is uphill). The Fishery will be restricted to team vehicles, safety, divers etc. Oh ...… and a certain blue boat. On the dates you give, drive up from Rothesay on the B881 to the Joint Academy at Townhead where parking is available. Then walk down the track that leads to Loch Fad.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England