Isle of Bute

Renegadenemo

Re: Isle of Bute

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:56 am

Ahh - fantastic! Can't wait to get there. Thanks for sharing.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

pumpkinboy1991

Post by pumpkinboy1991 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi Bill,

I'm a new member to the forum (wish I had joined a long time ago but never knew the bluebird was being rebuilt!). Watched the snippet on the one show and was excited to hear you will be doing some trials on Bute - I'm based in Greenock so will definitely be making the short trip across.

I have an honours degree in aeronautical engineering, so the project interests me a lot! Along with my father and a few friends we have a fair bit of knowledge, experience and tools between us, along with our fair share of projects. Some of which may well be of interest to you. We are nearly finished the build of a UH-18 SPW, which by August will be fully tested and operational (yes, I dared to put a date on it - we are forever being asked when it will be completed and forever declining to comment!!). It is a derivative of the hovercraft which currently holds the world hovercraft speed record (we hope to use it as our test bed/guinea pig to attempt to break the record in the not-too-distant future). Will send you pics if interested but watch this clip to see what I'm on about :) https://youtu.be/fRThDxlqMVg?t=17s
It has a top speed as a hovercraft of around 80-90kts, and with the wings on is slightly less due to the extra drag. My thinking was that it might be of interest as a support vehicle on Loch Fad - would be more than happy to bring it along to be involved with the Bluebird project and being a hovercraft is useful given that the wake it creates is low, or non-existent when flying in ground effect.
One of our close friends- who also loves a good project- owns Norman Buckley's racing boat (if that name means anything to you), a lovely Simmonds with a Daimler V8 - would certainly fit the "period" of the Bluebird, so again that is also available as a little support boat/or just to add to the nostalgia!

Regardless of whether either of these ideas interest you, we are a group of guys who collectively have a fair bit of knowledge and enjoy projects like this - so although we can't do much to support your project long term given that we are not based down South, we would be more than happy to help by providing tools/transportation/storage/brawn - anything that will aid your time in Bute. As I say, we are only a ferry ride away and will certainly be making the trip over to see the Bluebird so keep it in mind.

Can't wait! :D

Kind regards,
Ollie

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:41 am

Hi Ollie,

Sounds to me like you'd be good guys to have along. I'm back on Bute for a week in April so maybe we could meet up along the way. PM me and we'll get some comm's going.

Bill

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 am

pumpkinboy1991 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:35 pm
It is a derivative of the hovercraft which currently holds the world hovercraft speed record (we hope to use it as our test bed/guinea pig to attempt to break the record in the not-too-distant future). Ollie
Putting another hat on, it will be interesting to see how this WIG craft is categorised by the governing body for water based activity. I look forward to seeing it at Coniston Records Week perhaps.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England

pumpkinboy1991

Post by pumpkinboy1991 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:24 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:41 am
Hi Ollie,

Sounds to me like you'd be good guys to have along. I'm back on Bute for a week in April so maybe we could meet up along the way. PM me and we'll get some comm's going.

Bill
Thanks Bill, tried to PM you but it seems I am too new on the forum to send you a PM! My very professional email address is pumpkinboy1991@hotmail.com if that is of use? (Unless someone can turn on private messaging for me :) )

Would be great to meet you in April,if the timings allow! :D
Malcolm Ops wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 am
pumpkinboy1991 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:35 pm
It is a derivative of the hovercraft which currently holds the world hovercraft speed record (we hope to use it as our test bed/guinea pig to attempt to break the record in the not-too-distant future). Ollie
Putting another hat on, it will be interesting to see how this WIG craft is categorised by the governing body for water based activity. I look forward to seeing it at Coniston Records Week perhaps.

Currently it is in the same category as a normal hovercraft, of which generally are lumped in with the "boat" grouping with some small differences, such as having an amber beacon clearly visible when in operation. Given the small number in the world, never mind the UK (I believe ours is probably 1 of 5, but possibly less are in a serviceable condition) it would be a lengthy, and probably costly piece of legislation to put together to cover such a niche vehicle. Even standard hovercraft are a subject that generally tend to be brushed under the carpet with regards to legislation, so add wings and NO ONE wants to even acknowledge its existence! :lol:

On the topic of categorisation, we have discussed various ideas for the design of a hovercraft to attempt the world speed record including ideas such as adding canards for stability and to prevent incidents such as "plow-in" (when the frontal section of the skirt collapses and causes the craft to nose dive) or incidents such as Donald's where getting airborne could cause a tragedy. Using control surfaces such as this takes the design closer to that of an aircraft and subsequently the definition of what constitutes a hovercraft becomes blurry, but yes categorisation is certainly always an interesting topic!

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:21 pm

Which 'craft' holds the WIG speed record (is it the Ekranoplan) and who will acknowledge your achievements as being a new World Record. Perhaps that would be Guinness World Records? Just interested and if there is any 'downtime' in Bute something we can perhaps chat about?
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England

kevrust

Post by kevrust » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi bill, Its kevin.Dont know if you remember me, try to donate once a month, just booked accomodation on bute. hope i can at last meet you and the team. looking forward to seeing the old girl making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. good luck kev.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:38 am

Hi Kevin. Of course I remember you - you're a founder member of our supporters. Would be good to meet up on Bute.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

StoneRoad

Post by StoneRoad » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:39 pm

I'm keeping an eye on these developments ...
and fingers crossed that the Haltwhistle four can get away for a field (lake) visit.

Best "break a leg" wishes

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi I am new to this forum and sadly have few skills to offer but I would very much like to see the testing. My wife and I are thinking of spending a few days on Bute as self confessed rubberneckers. So as not to be in the way can you suggest where might be able to park our camper van?