Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

JfromJAGs

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by JfromJAGs » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:58 pm

Ah, now I got it. Guess it'll tyek a while until Ah understand tha..

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:57 am

Ah, now I got it. Guess it'll tyek a while until Ah understand tha..
Ha ha, good effort... This is almost as much fun as when we tried to teach Geordie to our old friend Zaid Al-Obaidi - our beloved diving friend from Baghdad. I mean,how do you explain 'Why aye, man' to a bloke who rides a camel to work? :lol: :lol:

Have to say - it was the best fun to have a laugh and and a beer with our German brothers. Same time next year, meine herren?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

longarmedgibbon

Post by longarmedgibbon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:29 pm

Just let the ruskin have it for 3 - 4 months of the year keeps everyone happy then. Ian lazenby

rich1608

Post by rich1608 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:44 pm

longarmedgibbon wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:29 pm
Just let the ruskin have it for 3 - 4 months of the year keeps everyone happy then. Ian lazenby
And they can have the Titanic (K777) for the other 8 months. Problem solved!! :lol:

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:27 pm

We've always said, no problem displaying the boat in the museum when she's not being maintained, conserved or run. At the very least, and this goes back to day-one, she would have to be taken out periodically to have her engine fun and systems cycled to keep her tip-top. Now Gina wants her run at other locations that's a straightforward enough bolt-on that the museum could join in with to promote themselves and the village - it's a win-win and a no brainer.
All we need to do now is agree terms and sign contracts. I've asked them on several occasions to offer proposals to this end but had no response.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Richie

Post by Richie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:37 pm

On the venue front, what about Holme Pierrepont in Nottingham ?

2 miles of shallow man made venue ? Used to race hydroplanes there I believe ?

Loads of infrastructure for crowds
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:07 pm

The regatta lake is only two (2) kilometres end to end. If there had been two miles I would have been to see them before Bute, because it is so close and I could have slept in every day!.

The powerboat racing did take place there, but not so much during the last decade. Jim Noone showed of Miss Windermere Vi to the racing audience at one event.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England

ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:17 pm

umm, i raced there a few times and although i like the venue a lot and you could get het up an trottin’ there would be no way you could get her round at eaither end short of shutting her down and being repositioned then run back the other way. no room for wiggling your way out eaither😜

Richie

Post by Richie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:49 pm

‘Twas just a thought Gruber.
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Just thought a quick update may be in order.

As we stand, we were told by the Coniston Hoopla Committee that the bureaucracy was over and we could crack on. They gave some dates that worked on paper but then the LDNPA confirmed that the bureaucracy was more of a miasma than ever before with things like.

"I would suggest at this stage you need to think about noise emissions (in decibels Db) from Bluebird, the size of any wash and the distance it maintains its integrity over flat water (this is relevant to lakeshore impact)"

No thought on distances or wind direction or any other variable when it comes to decibels and a failure to see that all our boats combined wouldn't produce the same wash as a single breezy afternoon but it's more work for someone - not us, thankfully! The bureaucrats also say the very soonest they could sign off on a deal would be March. Really? All the paperwork they want should have been completed years ago and popped in a desk drawer to be dusted off when needed so does Coniston have a load of resources and people commit to an event in July that they can't say will ever happen until the committees have stopped buggering about in March? That is way too late.
But the worst of it is that those concerned just will not sit down and talk about how the boat will be displayed and run into the future - three times we've asked. I think it's fair to say that virtually no one wants to see her locked up for the rest of time so we need to agree how future running will be organised so the boat can be displayed in the meantime. Folk say they want the boat in the museum and we have said from day one, and it has always been understood, that all our hard work comes with strings attached so it's not like anything has changed, but we can't seem to kick start the relevant dialogue so we can't progress much until that is sorted out. Why does this have to be so difficult to organise? Good news is that if nothing is sorted for Coniston 2019 there's plenty of other places we can run so you can all come for a look.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.