Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

longarmedgibbon

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by longarmedgibbon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Has the BBP ever discussed restoring the cn7 to running order? as you clearly are the crew to do it.

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:50 pm

I very much doubt they would let us.
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:02 pm

I asked them many moons ago. They were happy for us to strip and rebuild but wet their collective, museological knickers when we said the deal was that we started her and ran her under her own power. Would still love to do that job, though. But I'm not asking again. If they want it they can come ask us.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Richie

Post by Richie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 am

I trust all went well ?

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:07 pm

I trust all went well ?
It was interesting. We're still a little way off sorting out running the boat and touring her into the future but I'm sure all concerned want to see that agreed with minimum shenanigans. Still talk of Coniston next year too but there's a vast amount of work to do over there and not a lot of time to do it plus the bureaucrats letting us onto the water to do our job isn't even on the horizon!

We built a tiny scale model of the job when we went to Bute and that was difficult enough! Our traffic management issues we solved in real time by just closing off anywhere we didn't want cars and our crowd control involved simply shifting barriers about until we weren't overrun. Our portaloos were brimming after a couple of days and we had to introduce our no-drone policy half way through to keep the noisy things at a safe distance from proceedings. Now multiply the whole thing a hundred thousand times. Half a million people in Cumbria alone so it wouldn't take a big proportion to come for a look see and even the people detailed to pick up litter in the car park will need extra rations!

But no matter - there's still loads to do over on our side. There's the canopy issues, large tracts of her have never been painted, the engine setup still isn't right, and that's another thing, our aerospace partners didn't revisit 1966 at huge effort and expense for their beautifully rebuilt hydro-mechanical computers to sit idle for any length of time so we'll run up Bluebird's engine on the test rig shortly. The engine cover needs all of its proper, quarter-turn fasteners installing and that is going to be an absolute nightmare. The entire inside of the hull needs painting as does a fair bit of the outside, the artwork has to go on, the trailer is only half painted, none of the catch tanks are installed properly, the list just goes on and on. Still lots to keep everyone busy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 pm

As the actual dates have been published in Lancashire Life Magazine, can I add some realism and pressure to all my friends on the crew by starting a countdown day timer?

252 days to go! :o :o
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England

wbjohn

Post by wbjohn » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Malcolm Ops wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 pm
As the actual dates have been published in Lancashire Life Magazine, can I add some realism and pressure to all my friends on the crew by starting a countdown day timer?

Thank you for that Malcolm....

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:28 am

Hmmm. Caution, chaps.

This is all a bit like NASA beginning a countdown while the Bureaucrats have the rocket engines in bits on the floor waiting for a rebuild manual from the Hooplas who also have to agree and sign off the permit to fly for years to come.

Is this 252 days to go really a healthy message to be sending out in such circumstances?

There will be no pressure on this crew. If we accepted compromise, K7 would be currently displayed as a wreck in Manchester and Coniston would have a replica, if anything at all, and we certainly wouldn't have dates that were a no-brainer from the get-go. But it has to be totally safe, properly managed and utterly professional too. no ifs, no buts.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Richie

Post by Richie » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:55 pm

252 days to raise all that money.... infact its a whole bunch less time as they need to raise tens of thousands to pay for infrastructure, signage, facilities, staff, pay for traffic management, pay for stewards / rangers, pay for environmental impact assessments, pay the daily rate to the LDNPA to allow the boat on the water........ marquee's, bunting.....

I feel for them, a mammoth task just raising the required funds, let alone corralling folk and training them up to know what to do and providing them with the correct equipment to do it.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:41 am

I feel for them, a mammoth task just raising the required funds, let alone corralling folk and training them up to know what to do and providing them with the correct equipment to do it.
It's obvious to all that they have left themselves a very long way behind the game despite our efforts to school, encourage and cajole over the years, which is why I respectfully suggested at Wednesday's meeting that they position themselves more comfortably to put this together for 2020. After all, with Coniston the epicentre for all of this, they have a big responsibility to make the best possible job of it for the surrounding villages, the park, Cumbria and then the rest of the UK in that order.
The other side of the question, which I don't see being taken as seriously as it ought to be, is that we can't go near Coniston until the deal regarding touring and future maintenance, etc is set in stone because, despite the massive groundswell of public opinion that she must be a living machine, there remains an obstinate handful who would rather she was silenced for good and locked away in the Ruskin Museum for the rest of time and that just isn't going to happen.
Even if we have to disassemble from what we have now every piece that the museum actually owns and deliver to them a box of bits then replace their parts with new-build so we can carry on displaying the spirit of the lake for future generations then that's what we'll do so they have to give some thought to the future as it is now - a very different future to what was envisaged a decade ago.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.