Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Renegadenemo

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by Renegadenemo »

I note that one of the 'press contacts' has been removed
I note that the wording has now been changed so it no longer reads as though Donald is buried in the museum.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Now then, our old mate, Jett... I assume you're still looking in, I hope so, at least.

See, I discovered today that for some reason you have been moderated to death. I found this out in the workshop today as we had our Saturday tea break and meeting so I went for a peek in the moderator's log. Quite a feat for me as I'm well known as a technophobe. Anyway, I was able to see what had happened and why but not what was said to bring this about. Nor was the individual who actioned this in the workshop today to answer questions, so...

Firstly, be assured it had nothing whatsoever to do with me, that is not my way. Secondly, there are a few things you really ought to be aware of that, for other people's personal reasons, are not for a public forum. For that reason can I ask you to either mail me privately (Bill@Bluebirdproject.com) or, as is by far my favourite means of communication as anyone will tell you, give me a call on 0191 2964295.

Thanks in advance.

Bill.

Richie

Post by Richie »

Oh dear, I am sure it will all get resolved in an adult way over the phone or face to face.

Either way I am passed caring.....got a K7 to finish and a fleet of safety boats to sort before this years events.

With regards to this thread, ultimately the public will decide what happens to K7, if the decision between BBP and the Ruskin does not meet the approval of the masses, then folk will have hard questions and a proverbial PR nightmare to address.

On that note, Bill and Vicky need to talk this over, also Vicky needs to address the concerns raised before Xmas by many folk, which I am sure she will next week now that they are back to business.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Richie wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:19 pm Oh dear, I am sure it will all get resolved in an adult way over the phone or face to face.

On that note, Bill and Vicky need to talk this over, also Vicky needs to address the concerns raised before Xmas by many folk, which I am sure she will next week now that they are back to business.
I'm having a few quiet days so I've not kept up to speed with forum-land but there's no sense in things getting out of hand so I've sent my contacts over. Nowt like a good natter on the phone to uncross crossed wires.
As for the museum, it's just a case of getting the deal down on paper. Vicky is good as gold, we've worked together for as long as I can remember but what if she retires and we get some purist museologist who's scared of getting a boat wet? Could happen.

Look at it this way... at the end of the day a blip on the forum or a few months to get something agreed is neither here nor there. How many times have we been here before? It'll all come out in the wash.

Filtertron

Post by Filtertron »

Having been involved in volunteer groups before, mainly caring for steam and diesel locomotives; I can fully understand the sentiments of the BBP. The very reason for these groups existence is to bring something back from the dead, and keep it alive so that future generations can enjoy what we do today.

I would hate to see the K7 locked up, and never get wet again. Far too much has been put into it to allow it to remain cold, and simply gather dust in a museum. For those looking in from the outside, as I am, the BBP people have put their souls into bringing the K7 back to life again. They have given their time, and reached further into their own pockets than you can imagine, purely for the pleasure of seeing her go again. If you never have, become a volunteer who looks after running vintage machinery. You'll soon find out what it's all about - it's an eye opener. You'll also fully understand why the BBP won't hand the K7 over to the museum without their clauses agreed to on paper.

Personally, I'm hoping that some fine day I'll get to see the K7 strut her stuff. Whether it's here in Australia (I'd travel over to see her do Lake Dumbleyung - which is the other side of the country to me), or somewhere in the UK matters not. I simply want to have the experience of seeing and hearing this beautiful machine do what it was designed to do. Stuffing it into the museum denies everyone of that. If Coniston were really serious about the K7, the trials would have taken place there. That alone is telling.

To the BBP team, keep doing what you're doing. Some of us really appreciate your efforts.
"What are you doing up that tree?"
"We're mountaineering on a rather tight budget."
Bluebird-Hungary

Post by Bluebird-Hungary »

Well said, Filtertron ! ;)
Bluebird-Hungary

Post by Bluebird-Hungary »

I thought I'd check what's the latest from Coniston ... but all I got was this: "The Bluebird Coniston website is currently undergoing maintenance…"
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Clearly it’s been put into maintenance mode whilst an exciting update is being typed, and the server capacity increased to cope with all of the extra hits...
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Well it appeared without so much as a courtesy nod in this direction complete with a timer counting down to something that wasn't even agreed upon and now it's vanished again; Lord knows what's going on over there.
It's all very peculiar. I don't have a clue what's going on either. We requested a go/no-go date from the organising committee for the proposed Coniston gig and protocol says we should have had at the very least a holding statement but we haven't had a reply of any kind. We submitted our 32 page water safety document to the LDNPA - that's the bit about how we operate between getting off the slipway then back on again - and it was declared a good 'starting point', so our bit is done. I've tried a few texts here and there to others I know in the village but no one seems to know what, if anything, is going on so the days tick by and the questions continue unabated from people who want to see K7 run this year. Unless there's some pretty quick and convincing action in the next few weeks we'll have to look at going back to Scotland.

Richie

Post by Richie »

Is the museum open today ? Been trying to ring since 10am ? No reply though.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."