Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Ernie Lazenby

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

The question I posed in my original post.
In simple language used by lawyers the question is 'who has legal title to K7 Bluebird' as opposed to any moral right of ownership.

As soon as that is established once and for all anything else is pretty much irrelevant. The owners, ie those with 'legal title to ownership' can do with it as they wish. The press will then have to find something else to get their teeth into. If legal title has not been determined/finalised by contract that's another matter and the suits get richer.
The reporter in the piece being discussed used confusing words when saying Bluebird is 'effectively owned' by etc etc. No so such thing as effectively owned, it is either owned by one or the other or jointly.
Richie

Post by Richie »

We have not even got the boat back to HQ yet and already it has started. I have read (from the same old muppet sources) the negative drivel on Facebook, threats of legal action from someone who has no say in anything, but hey ho...... jump onto the wagon, don't do the homework first......

Agree with you Chris, the comments published by the BEEB have been taken out of context and twisted to sell papers etc, nothing new there... "never let the truth get in the way of a good story". Notice none have approached Gina, no comments from her...... speaks volumes

the issue of ownership is nobody's business other than Bill, Gina and the Ruskin.

with respect, Bill and the remaining members of the crew are currently busy with the logistics of bringing the boat back to the workshop, I wouldn't expect him to come "running" along any time soon, his plate is full and there are more important pressing issues to address instead of batting off crap from the BEEB.

mind as articles go it is an excellent diversion tactic if it has been initiated by a specific party.

sour grapes anyone ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
rich1608

Post by rich1608 »

Richie wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:55 am sour grapes anyone ?
Exactly what I thought when I read an article about a certain steam car record holder...!
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Richie said the issue of ownership is nobody's business other than Bill, Gina and the Ruskin.
With respect that is not correct. When dealing with public money be it used to build an annex for K7 or anything to do with the boat, it is the business of those who contributed in the believe that a certain course of events was to be followed. When dealing with a company listed at companies house then nothing is secret including the funds held by the project when returns were last submitted this year and the years back to 2012.
Sorry to make a point about it but we must be factually correct.
BTW I am just as much as a Bluebird anorak as the rest of you but I dont look through rose tinted glasses at everything. Facts and reality are whats needed then the press folk have nothing to pick over. Also dont forget that without the press/tv K7 would never had got the publicity shes had in recent years. Just got to take the good with the bad and deal with it accordingly calmly factually and without rancour.
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Exactly what I thought when I read an article about a certain steam car record holder...! - Is this the same one who likes his lawnmowers? and been dining out on the family name for years
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

perhaps the last post is a little regrettable. The individual I think being referred to has done much to keep the Campbell/Bluebird dynasty in its entirety in the public eye, Sir Malcolm Campbell tends to be forgotten simply because a boat went backwards at over 300 mph attracting all the attention thereafter. Sir M's achievements are every bit as news worthy and to be remembered long after we have all gone and to that extent the individual by his own achievements keeps it alive. I dont think he ought to be belittled because he has disagreed with whats happened to K7. Thats assuming we are talking about the same person if not I have no idea who it would be. I don't want to offend anyone or cause offense just trying to keep things into perspective.
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

I agree with Mike on this one. It's the common-sense thing to do. The BBP has been doing a brilliant job on Bute and it's very unreasonable of anyone to expect them to field the questions being put on here and in parts of the media at this time. Getting the boat safety back to base has surely got to be their priority.

Also agree with Ernie that Don has every right to express his opinions and every right to associate himself closely with his forebears.

If he can't, who the hell can?

Nigel
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Mike - You guys are legends!
Richie

Post by Richie »

Yeah Mike is alright I suppose....but no better than alright.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
mark-f

Post by mark-f »

When I posted my original question it was in totally good faith as I was concerned about some of the allegations / assertions made in the article, I didn't pass comment on whether I thought they were true or not. I do still feel that at some point it would be worth someone closely associated with the BBP addressing these claims.

As both Bill Smith & Gina Campbell have recently stated the same thing "Bluebird is too beautiful to be locked away in a dusty museum" it is bound to make people wonder whether the "original" aim of the BBP to restore K7 to working condition, run it on Coniston water occasionally & house it in the purpose built wing of the Ruskin museum is still the plan.

As the project has to some extent been funded by public donation, changing the aims of the BBP (if this is what we are seeing) at this late stage seems odd.

The team have all done a fantastic job over the last 17 years, one I have followed & supported every step of the way, I do hope that now K7 is well on the way to being completed the spectre of "filthy lucre" doesn't cloud the issue.
Last edited by mark-f on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.