Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

captain sparkle

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by captain sparkle »

That'll be about 1m 04 secs? then? :D
You are Chalkie White & i claim my prize!

Great stuff Bill! keep it comin'!
TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

That'll be about 1m 04 secs? then? :D
Nope, the brake goes down at about 54 seconds. Note the twin rooster tails as the water is cut by the ram descending below the rear wedge. Look at how much water is in the air, literally tons of the stuff, and imagine just how much energy is being torn out of the system as that happens. I remember having lunch with Lew Norris. Ken was the dreamer, Lew was the cautious thinker. He told me two things. That the boat was way too efficient when up on the plane - we proved that out because the damn thing just wouldn't come back down once we got her up on her points. And that the water brake was equally efficient and violent - we proved that out too when Ted almost went through the canopy on its first deployment.

Sooner this dangerous machine is locked away in a museum to gather dust the better!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle »

aaah! Thanks Bill, I stand corrected.

Never did find that Chalkie White, on Morecambe prom, with his Daily Mirror! :?
TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!
Chris Williams

Post by Chris Williams »

Bill - I know from what I've read that the thrust line from the jet engine produces a turning moment around the centre of gravity which applies a downward pressure on the bows helping to keep her nose down. What effect does the water brake have in this context?
In a lifetime, among the seeds we sew is the seed of tragedy, and tragedy is a plant that can take many years to grow, and even longer to blossom, and bear it's bitter fruit.
longarmedgibbon

Post by longarmedgibbon »

Intresting what you say bill about k7 taking ages to come down of the plane, the exact same thing happens with my dads,ernie lazenby, big gas turbine model, it takes 8-10 seconds to come off the plane when i shut the power down ,on the short you tube vid ive attached i shut the power down at 0.13 and it settles back in the water at 0.21

https://youtu.be/mJYAz7wHZjY
Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

Chris Williams wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:33 pm Bill - I know from what I've read that the thrust line from the jet engine produces a turning moment around the centre of gravity which applies a downward pressure on the bows helping to keep her nose down. What effect does the water brake have in this context?
Believe the Water Brake also generates a turning moment, tending to push the bows down. It is located behind the rear planing 'shoe'.

Not entirely convinced myself.... :(
Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

longarmedgibbon wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:25 pm Intresting what you say bill about k7 taking ages to come down of the plane, the exact same thing happens with my dads,ernie lazenby, big gas turbine model, it takes 8-10 seconds to come off the plane when i shut the power down ,on the short you tube vid ive attached i shut the power down at 0.13 and it settles back in the water at 0.21

https://youtu.be/mJYAz7wHZjY
Believe K7 was known to 'float' or 'hover', once up on its points - and actually went faster, as it did so - even without more engine power being applied.

Think I have read that DMC's method was to get it up on its points, then back off power, and let it plane through the Measure Kilo. Only what I have read.... :(
Richie

Post by Richie »

I believe the brake would cause the nose to dip, by adding a retarding force to the rear of the boat which the boat will then rotate around, however, the rate at which it brings the boat down is anyone’s guess... the more of the ram that enters the water, the more single point drag = greater rotational effect.

Bearing in mind on the hoof she has three points of contact in the water all with a very low drag coefficient, shove a big wedging bar into the mix (read that as brake ram) and you suddenly have a large single point of drag..... I bet the Delta-V figures are interesting when the ram is deployed at planing speed !

It could be calculated I am sure, need someone smarter than me to do it though.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

Briefly (re)reading the last chapter (10) of Neil Sheppards book, on K7 and there is speculation on what effect the Water Brake might have had - if deployed, on the last run, 4th Jan'67. The conclusion was that in the hovering or floating state - its unclear what would have happened.

Ken Norris is quoted as telling DMC, that the Water Brake should not be applied above 200mph.

On The Hoof is new to me, but I follow. The Water Brake I think was intended to ruin the flow around the Rear Shoe, which the change in the Rooster Tail shows it still does, very effectively. But - K7 still needs to drop down.... Which it doesn't seem to do in a hurry. Perhaps why Ted was steering away right at the end of his last run..... Before it finally dropped down.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Briefly (re)reading the last chapter (10) of Neil Sheppards book, on K7 and there is speculation on what effect the Water Brake might have had - if deployed, on the last run, 4th Jan'67. The conclusion was that in the hovering or floating state - its unclear what would have happened.
Having seen how violent and effective the water brake is by resurrecting it and actually using it at speed I'd say there's little doubt that had Donald been able to fire it down as his 4th Jan event developed it would have slammed the nose back down, likely destroyed the main spar fairings and blasted a ton of water into the sponson tops whilst pulling his eyeballs from their sockets with the deceleration forces and the front end would have stayed firmly buried in the water until way below any speed where the boat would have blown over. Pretty much all I know about the theory of the water brake I learned over lunch with Lew Norris and much of what he told me he never had answers to because it was never really tried, the rest we learned by making it all work again from a pile of scrap parts that lay rotting on the bottom of a lake for 34 years so to see everything Lew envisaged proved correct is a real thrill and very satisfying.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.