Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Renegadenemo

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Bit that made me chuckle was that they didn't include a link to BBP. Oversight? Pretty basic, I'd have thought. Deliberate omission? I guess it would keep the unwary from learning about the real situation. One thing they really must get on to is sorting the ongoing running and touring contract or we stay buttoned up in the workshop until they do.
There's also all this nonsense about Gina giving the boat to the museum. For the avoidance of doubt, what was given to the museum was the WRECKAGE and the wreckage only and that never included sponsons, engine, controls, launching cradle, instruments, air intakes, electrical system, etc. etc. They are only part owners but that's OK. We'll be delighted to let them display all our hard work for 70% of the year soon as we sign a deal.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:49 am

Thought I'd quote the exact wording of the deed of gift.

'Property' the Bluebird K7 as recovered from Coniston Water in or around 2001, the associated parts of the vessel both recovered and unrecovered and all other associated items and objects so recovered and/or recovered to include, but without limitation clothing and overalls of Donald Campbell (deceased).

That's it, that's all so the bald fact of the matter is that the museum owns what came out of the water as scrap and we own the rest including the rivets, paint and sealants. Also, we have said for at least ten years that when we display the boat in the museum it comes with strings attached with regard to getting it back out again and keeping everything fighting fit, running, etc. So, if they had a problem with any of that, there has been more than enough time to challenge it.

Read so much nonsense over the years about ownership and have always just let it go but there it is in black and white.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Richie

Post by Richie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Either way, I am looking forward to next July, running the boat this year was fantastic, talking to children and adults alike about it was also great, clearly stirred the imagination of the next generation.....can’t ask for more than that.

Next year should be even better still ! If the BEWG have posted up the timer and the dates as concrete, they must have all the funding sorted, along with the documents and logistics

Credit to them if they have 👍
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

Bluebird-Hungary

Post by Bluebird-Hungary » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Speaking personally, I'm hoping we'll get official confirmation soon as to whether K7 will be in 2019 action at Coniston or Bute, or elsewhere. Not only does accommodation need to be booked for the right area, but in our case, coming from Hungary, the flights too ! The new Coniston web site serves only to 'muddy the water', I feel.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:42 pm

Following a meeting last Sunday with the powers on the isle we can at least confirm our permission to return to Bute so if Coniston can't get their event signed off by LDNPA and the organising in process within the next few weeks Bute will certainly be available to pick up the baton.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

rich1608

Post by rich1608 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Renegadenemo wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:42 pm
Following a meeting last Sunday with the powers on the isle we can at least confirm our permission to return to Bute so if Coniston can't get their event signed off by LDNPA and the organising in process within the next few weeks Bute will certainly be available to pick up the baton.
I did wonder if you might be going to somewhere with a longer course than Bute e.g. Loch Eck.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:17 pm

That's the plan but Bute is there no matter what...

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:13 am

Bluebird-Hungary wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:50 pm
Also ... one of the headings is wonderful: ' Lock Fad Successful Sea Trials 2018 ' ...... Loch .. not 'Lock' ... and .. 'sea trials' !!!
I note that 'Lock' has now become 'Loch', but it STILL says 'sea trials'. Is it really that hard??!! :o

I see also that the video used there was embedded without permission and that embedding permissions have subsequently been turned off by the video owner, and, I'm curious as to what the currently dead Facebook, Twitter and You Tube links are going to point to; if it's our content they had better ask first, or otherwise, will it be another load of non-affiliated, incorrect guff that just appears without warning, like the website..? :roll:

Sadly, the way things are going they are all going to look pretty stupid when that countdown clock reaches zero and we're nowhere to be seen. :roll:

Jett

Post by Jett » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:54 am

Renegadenemo wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:49 am
Thought I'd quote the exact wording of the deed of gift.

'Property' the Bluebird K7 as recovered from Coniston Water in or around 2001, the associated parts of the vessel both recovered and unrecovered and all other associated items and objects so recovered and/or recovered to include, but without limitation clothing and overalls of Donald Campbell (deceased).

That's it, that's all so the bald fact of the matter is that the museum owns what came out of the water as scrap and we own the rest including the rivets, paint and sealants. Also, we have said for at least ten years that when we display the boat in the museum it comes with strings attached with regard to getting it back out again and keeping everything fighting fit, running, etc. So, if they had a problem with any of that, there has been more than enough time to challenge it.

Read so much nonsense over the years about ownership and have always just let it go but there it is in black and white.
Well, since it was still a wreck, the museum couldn't, at that point, own the reconstructed Bluebird K7 in 2006, when the Deed of Gift was drawn up and signed off, could they? Doh.
Last edited by Jett on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jett

Post by Jett » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:00 am

I was watching the Sky News Loch Fad documentary again, the other day. Interesting to hear Bill Smith say that Coniston has had a decade to get ready for Bluebird K7's return. In fact it's the other way round. The Bluebird Wing of the Ruskin Museum was opened in 2008, and Coniston has been patiently waiting a decade for Bill Smith to complete the reconstruction of the boat and return it there.