Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

JamesT

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by JamesT »

Renegadenemo wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:00 am Was told today that the good old LDNPA await two applications. One for a public event and one to run at speed. Well I wonder who will make those applications. Certainly it's not our event - we're just the headline act - so it will be interesting to see how that develops.

In the meantime, following what we learned about or limits on Loch Fad, we now have two possible sites in the North East should Northumbrian Water wish to host us. We could run on Kielder water, though it's a bit deep here and there, or on the Derwent Reservoir in Co. Durham.

Bill - have you considered St Mary's Loch in the Borders? Maybe a touch deep (40m in places), good access, some nice calm waters at times (!), a cafe and a pub nearby. There is a sailing club on the loch with premises at the south end but not sure how frequently they actually use the loch. Just a thought.
Chris Williams

Post by Chris Williams »

What about Bassenthwaite Lake?

6.4 km long with well over 5km usable. Only 21 metres deep. There is a brief narrow point about one third of the way down, but it's straight. Possible launch site at the North end.
In a lifetime, among the seeds we sew is the seed of tragedy, and tragedy is a plant that can take many years to grow, and even longer to blossom, and bear it's bitter fruit.
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Guidance to all who wish to offer alternatives water locations for running K7 in the UK (or even abroad).

Nothing within the jurisdiction of the LDNPA (Cumbria if you will) is worthwhile, as there are only two lakes which have facility in the Bye Laws to go above 10mph. A Bye Law change can take nearly 5 years. Been there done that, earnt nothing from it.

Deep water Lochs are not enticing to our dive teams.

Loch Fad is within an SSSI location, with nesting Osprey at certain times. The BBP does know how to behave in scientifically sensitive locations.

In land water that reacts much like a sea is not appropriate.

Many Thanks.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
pmc

Post by pmc »

Did you just say "Lake Winnebago"?

15x50km and 6m deep with many access points and little bureaucracy.
Big noisy fast boats welcome. Ted will find friends and Bluebird may find a fair race.
The local sailing speed record was 143mph before Donald got started.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The great thing is we realised that we can put on a proper show with only a mile and a bit of water and that opens up a whole new world of possibilities for people to see this icon in action. It's a fundamental tenet of the museum world that any object should be made available and accessible to the wider public wherever possible so this can only be a good thing for all concerned.

And one thing I especially enjoyed was blasting a 1950s jet hydroplane across a SSSI while Ospreys hunted around us - those big fabulous birds didn't care a damn - did you know they hover like a big Kestrel before stooping to nick one of Jimmy's fish? I didn't. Our simple oil boom kept any spilt kero off the otters too.

Bute really is the land of common sense! I so can't wait for some jobsworth enviro-mentalist to wibble at us on the next gig. Unless they can take our ospreys and otters and raise us a unicorn they can go fudge themselves...

Ted's last hot run. Arguably on-limits but pretty spectacular and an example of what can be demonstrated on not a lot of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mog89EDYFd0
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
rich1608

Post by rich1608 »

Renegadenemo wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:21 pm The great thing is we realised that we can put on a proper show with only a mile and a bit of water
That includes Bewl Water near me on the Kent/Sussex border. Yes it's an odd shape but given the turn Ted put in at the end of that video I'm sure he (and Stew) could pilot K7 from one corner to the other. And K3 was on it recently too https://www.bewlwater.co.uk/whats-on/te ... e-bird-k3/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
midlife

Post by midlife »

Renegadenemo wrote: Ted's last hot run. Arguably on-limits but pretty spectacular and an example of what can be demonstrated on not a lot of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mog89EDYFd0

OMFG!!!
There are some proper skills on display right there!!!!
Don’t think I’ve ever seen anything so dramatic!!
Thanks for sharing Bill[.]
Cheers
Wayne

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Lumme! :shock:

Nigel
captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle »

We were privvy to seeing some of said pilots skills at a "quick turn around" at Timing South a few years back, at Coniston Speed week, &, blimey! we thought he'd crashed!
TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

And an extra bonus point to whoever can spot when the water brake went down. We put so much work into ensuring that system delivered when asked... Result...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.