Coniston - Spiritual Home?

Sam_68

Re: Coniston - Spiritual Home?

Post by Sam_68 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:03 am

Mike Bull wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:51 am
...which can still happen IF the 'authorities' over there get off their backsides and facilitate an event. So, no 'broken promise' there.
Sorry, Mike, but I didn't read anything there about it being conditional on them complying with your every whim.

There is an extension to the Ruskin Museum, built at significant expense and in good faith, based on previous promises, waiting to house K7.

BBP seems to have convinced itself that it has sole ownership of the boat. I think Ernie's repeated question on that matter needs to be answered.

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:03 am

Just to answer some of the questions in this thread so far. . These are answers as a volunteer on the BBP, .

Ullswater has a 10mph speed limit and is LDNPA 'controlled'. Do we want to take the boat there .....… another four years plus might be spent/wasted on a Bye Law change as there is no 'application' process declared for this lake.

The craft has been restored to its 1966/7 variant - so where is that's boat 'home' - it only ran in this configuration on Coniston Water. Is it that simple?

Donald liked Coniston and the village, because he went there four times to break the water speed record. Yes, there are three other record locations around the world as well - of which two may be accessible. Then there are many lakes that were 'tested' or just visited in Europe and Australasia and USA.

In 2008 when the Bluebird wing opened, the Coniston Water Bye Law change was still going through the midst of the consultation process. It (the revised Bye Law document) came into being by Secretary of State sign off in 2011. There were no true downsides voiced by anyone, except 'Bridget Jones'.

Only in December 2017 did the proverbial hit the fan when some dates, answering the 'when' question for the first time, had been openly discussed with the village. I use the word 'openly' in the sense that an event meeting was advised, not all of the villagers. These dates were ignored by the LDNPA who did offer others earlier in the year. These first dates were withdrawn from the table - by me.

I think you will find that the operators of the craft will have 'legal obligations', because the HSE do investigate individuals/teams should anything ever go wrong. Above all another recovery and rebuild would take time - that is said as a joke, because I have two lives to look after whenever the boat runs again.

I will watch out for any other questions - but as I do not have access to the details of 'ownership' then that is left in the air.

Any questions on 'spiritual' then please refer them to someone who knows about such matters - as Operations, I know nothing in this regard.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:12 am

Sam_68 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:45 am
There's also the small matter of Broken promises, not that that seems to concern anybody associated with BBP, any more:

"... any contribution will be used in its entirety to ensure the successful completion of this project and the return of Donald Campbell's iconic boat to her spiritual home in Coniston, Cumbria, England."
That piece of information/request by the project back in the day may cause a problem or two. Its more a case of what it does not say. Any individual or organisation reguesting funs needs to be very careful how a request is worded. As displayed it is very clear that K7 was to be returned to Coniston- no mention of going elsewhere.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:15 am

Sam_68 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:03 am
There is an extension to the Ruskin Museum, built at significant expense and in good faith, based on previous promises, waiting to house K7.
This keeps getting thrown around lately, mixed in with the matter of actually running the boat on Coniston Water- which is an entirely separate issue.

The people at the museum have known for years that the boat WILL ultimately be displayed there, but that she will also need to come out periodically for maintenance and running. I repeat- they have known of this for years. When we talk about problems with 'Coniston', we allude to the supposed 'powers that be' there and the LDNPA, not the Ruskin Museum. Separate issue.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:30 am

Sorry but that does not really add up. Conflicts with recent comments in public from the project. The issue of the Ruskin situation may be different to the problem with the LDNPA but is of real concern to readers.

There might just be an elephant in the room; the wording of the request for funds could be taken as misleading, note I have said could. From what I have picked up on social media, as fed to me by others, to some people that matter is of concern. That said the amount of information put out on this forum and in the press by the project since the original request clearly demonstrates what such funds are being/are going to be used for. In light of that changing information anyone who felt they contributed because they were misled ought to have taken issue at that time and asked for their money back. In that respect the elephant leaves the room.
The latest request to raise another £10,000 clearly says why the project needs the money- depleted funds because of the Bute trip. Perfectly proper request no ambiquity there.
Last edited by Ernie Lazenby on Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam_68

Post by Sam_68 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:35 am

Mike Bull wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:15 am
The people at the museum have known for years that the boat WILL ultimately be displayed there...
So, for the record, you are confirming on behalf of BBP that K7 will be handed over to the Ruskin museum in due course?

No ifs, no buts, not conditions or strings attached?

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:41 am

Oooh - properly put the cat amongst the pigeons this time, I did.

The only broken promise is that of Coniston to organise a homecoming event befitting all our hard work and celebrating the rebirth of K7. We're still waiting.

Ownership - as I said to Gina, you don't own such an object, you can merely be its custodian while you're able, like a house or classic car. Bluebird is a national treasure and I would argue that she's best managed by those who can give the most back to the nation.

We have told the museum for many years that K7 will only be displayed there once terms are agreed for getting her back out when necessary so the ball is in their court.
So, for the record, you are confirming on behalf of BBP that K7 will be handed over to the Ruskin museum in due course?

See above - she will be displayed there should the museum get its act together but there will be many strings attached. That machine will not be wheeled in, the doors locked behind her and that's that. Hands up anyone who wants to see that happen.

Times change, opinions change and what is in the best interests change and when Gina said the boat was too young to be locked away in a crusty old museum, that she should go on tour and that everyone should see her, she was absolutely right and you'll look a long way to find anyone who thinks otherwise.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:43 am

Sam_68 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:35 am
Mike Bull wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:15 am
The people at the museum have known for years that the boat WILL ultimately be displayed there...

perhaps you should have included the words 'and its future use controlled by the Ruskin trust'

Sam_68

Post by Sam_68 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:45 am

Renegadenemo wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:41 am

See above - she will be displayed there should the museum get its act together but there will be many strings attached.
So that's a no, then?

Keeping your promises if you feel like it doesn't count, I'm afraid.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:50 am

Just as an aside, we all know who Bill is, I post under my own name, and so does Ernie; as you're a new member 'Sam_68', would you care to properly introduce yourself?