Coniston - Spiritual Home?

Ernie Lazenby

Re: Coniston - Spiritual Home?

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:55 pm

English dictionary definition- 'Spiritual home' 'a place where you feel you belong, although you were not born there, because you have a lot in common with the people, the culture, and the way of life'

Re: Question Bill asked originally. In respect of a piece of property the expression is misused. Where I live now is my 'spiritual home', yes I was born in smoggy land, I cant help that :lol: , but that was over 70 years ago. In its relatively short life did K7 really ever have a 'home' ?

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:56 pm

Then why did you publish the statement that I linked above, which is still there for all to see, on your website?
to ensure the successful completion of this project and the return of Donald Campbell’s iconic boat to her spiritual home in Coniston, Cumbria, England.
I keep hearing this, Coniston - spiritual home thing and I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.
Fair question
Back in the day we had romantic notions of a joint effort but, with regret, we have to say that Coniston has failed completely to engage with the project over the past 10 years or so and as one commentator said on Bute - 'you should invite them up here to see what they could have won'. That pretty much sums it up. And it's an awful lot easier to say, put it in the museum, than it is to say, put it in the museum with an ongoing maintenance, conservation and anti-det contract in place, but that's what it should have read.

Bill please just put a stop to all this by answering the question fundamental to this and other threads. Surely you of all people must know;
Surely no one imagines I have, or indeed there even exists, a definitive answer to that one? Too many variables.

As we've said for the longest time, when Coniston and the museum and the LDNPA sort themselves out we'll be there with bells on but until they do we'll just keep on delivering a project with the greatest public benefit.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:16 pm

...and with that, can we please all give this a rest for a while? Thanks!
'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'

sheppane

Post by sheppane » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:05 pm

Two sentiments with which I most heartily agree:

''As we've said for the longest time, when Coniston and the museum and the LDNPA sort themselves out we'll be there with bells on but until they do we'll just keep on delivering a project with the greatest public benefit''.
Mike Bull wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:16 pm
...and with that, can we please all give this a rest for a while? Thanks!
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/

Healey nut

Post by Healey nut » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:06 am

Amen to that !!!!!
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:

Richie

Post by Richie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:46 am

And with that all said, there remains only one final question !

“Describe your perfect Tuesday”
Clarence come out ov zat tank at vonz !

mtskull

Post by mtskull » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:22 am

Richie wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:46 am
And with that all said, there remains only one final question !

“Describe your perfect Tuesday”
Not on a family forum...... ;)
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.

mark-f

Post by mark-f » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:19 am

Reading this thread & others on the forum I can't help but come to the conclusion that the much used phrase "Get their act together" actually means do exactly as Bill Smith wants or F&*%^ off.

As I have said before I have supported the BBP since the beginning of the restoration but can't help feeling that the "My way or the highway" attitude of Bill Smith has probably caused as many problems as it has overcome.

The rebuilding & running of K7 is a fantastic achievement but if this is mired in acrimony & disagreements in the months or years to come the whole project & the legacy of Donald Campbell & his boat K7 will be permanently tarnished. Bill has claimed that he is the custodian of a national treasure, I would suggest he starts acting like one & not as if K7 is his personal property to do with as he fancies.

People all over the world have donated to the BBP on the basis of what they have been told over very many years, to materially alter that now is simply wrong.

I don't expect these comments to survive for long, but they needed saying & are believe it or not, meant to be constructive.

Mike Bull

Post by Mike Bull » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:01 am

mark-f wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:19 am

People all over the world have donated to the BBP on the basis of what they have been told over very many years, to materially alter that now is simply wrong.
This @&$# needs nipping in the bud, and NOW; nothing has been 'materially altered' at all. As has already been stated, more than once, it has always been the intention to maintain the machine in a working condition, and for it to live in the Ruskin between maintenance or running periods.

Bill can speak for himself of course but at least somebody involved with K7 has a 'can-do' attitude and if it means shouting over a load of people who need a meeting about a meeting about getting a grant to appoint someone to hold a meeting about how much bunting is required, then so be it. I'd suggest that the last fortnight has proved which approach works.

Enough.
'I am not what is called a "civilized man", Professor. I have done with society for reasons that seem good to me.'