A '60s hydrofoil on eBay!

larrylamb11

A '60s hydrofoil on eBay!

Post by larrylamb11 »

Having followed the K7 project with interest, have you guys seen this? on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223125395067?
This would make a fabulous accompaniment to demonstration runs of Bluebird!
JohnTheBikeMan

Re: A '60s hydrofoil on eBay!

Post by JohnTheBikeMan »

Could the Orph be modded to drive a prop?
I am the one who guided you this far
All you know and all you feel
Nobody must know my name
For nobody would understand
And you kill what you feel...
ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

It is a thing of beauty! I wish I had the time to sort it out :D
JefL

Post by JefL »

JohnTheBikeMan wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:46 am Could the Orph be modded to drive a prop?
No, you need a Proteus.
Now where could we find one of those......
:D
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The hovercraft museum had a few last time l looked...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
rich1608

Post by rich1608 »

Renegadenemo wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:20 pm The hovercraft museum had a few last time l looked...
I hope they get round to restoring one of the giant SRN4 hovercraft. Last I heard was that one or both were due to be cut up for scrap to make space for housing. :evil:
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Last I heard was that one or both were due to be cut up for scrap to make space for housing.
One was scrapped, the other is still around with a fair chance of surviving. I looked into where to get Prot spares when we offered to strip and rebuild CN7 but the proviso was that we got all her systems up and running and that sent the usual museological committees into a bit of a flat spin. Would be nice to get her running and strap Lewis in to give her some display runs at Elvington. Perfectly achievable but you know how things are...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
VdGGfan

Post by VdGGfan »

As a fairly OT link to recent activity, there used to be a hovercraft on Bute back in the 1960s offering pleasure trips to sightseers.
I remember because I went on one!
Iirc it was an SRN5 which left from the beach near Rothesay Pavilion and landed ashore in the middle of nowhere -I suspect at Ardyne Point on the Cowal peninsula.
The noise as the skirt inflated was deafening and you could see b*gger all due the amount of spray generated.
Internet search gives me no details - perhaps a browse in the local library archives may produce more info.
rich1608

Post by rich1608 »

VdGGfan wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:04 pm As a fairly OT link to recent activity, there used to be a hovercraft on Bute back in the 1960s offering pleasure trips to sightseers.
I remember because I went on one!
Iirc it was an SRN5 which left from the beach near Rothesay Pavilion and landed ashore in the middle of nowhere -I suspect at Ardyne Point on the Cowal peninsula.
The noise as the skirt inflated was deafening and you could see b*gger all due the amount of spray generated.
Internet search gives me no details - perhaps a browse in the local library archives may produce more info.
This?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

Renegadenemo wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:45 pm

Would be nice to get her running and strap Lewis in to give her some display runs at Elvington. Perfectly achievable but you know how things are...
It does seem a shame that the current mueseo mentality is about keeping a deteriorating piece of scrap (nee 'artefact') 'safe' rather than celebrating it and the previous achievements by returning it regularly to living memory rather than some grainy 50 year old 16mm footage.

Perhaps it stems from the decision makers being old enough to of seen it operating way back when or mebbe a 'that's the way museums have always been' perspective.
slightly off topic I know....