Bluebird Runs 2019

Filtertron

Re: Bluebird Runs 2019

Post by Filtertron »

That is a shame, but not unexpected going by past track record. A public run would have been a great opportunity for the Rusken to raise awareness for itself, and also for the Lakes District. It would also have been an opportunity for them to actually be involved with the running of the boat too, even if it's only supplying minders to watch over it when parked up in the tent, or helping to push the boat into the water.

Anyway, onwards and upwards for the BBP. You lot do a great job. Hope your health is alright too, Bill!

Cheers from Australia.
"What are you doing up that tree?"
"We're mountaineering on a rather tight budget."
Sam_68

Post by Sam_68 »

Renegadenemo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:00 pmWe've always said we'd donate the half of the boat that we scratch-built from donated materials ...
Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but I've always believed in keeping my word.

That being the case, whether you like the end result or not, is there really anything further to discuss?

It seems distasteful in the extreme to be deliberately holding to ransom the Ruskin and the people of Coniston, whom Donald so famously cherished and who cherished and kept his name alive in return, over the long years between the crash and K7's recovery, despite acknowledging yourself that this was a long-held promise.
Sam_68

Post by Sam_68 »

Renegadenemo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:19 am ...and in return would retain an interest in the boat
I think that's the bit that is disputed, isn't it?

You are obliged (if only morally) to keep your side of the deal, but was there ever any clear, written acknowledgement of the scale and extent of your retained ownership from their side? Or was this merely an assumption that you chose to make?
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

Sam_68 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:42 am
Renegadenemo wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:19 am ...and in return would retain an interest in the boat
I think that's the bit that is disputed, isn't it?

You are obliged (if only morally) to keep your side of the deal, but was there ever any clear, written acknowledgement of the scale and extent of your retained ownership from their side? Or was this merely an assumption that you chose to make?
Pass the popcorn , here we go again with who owns which bits and who said what to who and when .
If its not written down in triplicate , signed and witnessed by all the appropriate people then it dont mean diddly and “we’ll see you in court” I think is the expression.
Thats where this is all headed and the chances of K7 seeing water this year are dwindling by the second .
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

“Watch this space “

I will but Im sure not going to hold my breath in the meantime .
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

I might have gotten things wrong, but to me the committee behind the Ruskin museum thinks it has full control over K7, right?
- they think so, because Gina Campbell has donated the wreckage to them - for free. But who paid for finding and recovering the wreckage?
- they think so, because at some point the BBP had said they would donate all their parts and work for free, just for the fun of restoring K7?
- they think so, because they had build a Bluebird Wing extension for £750,000, while most of the money came from redirected (?) EU (?) money for the foot-and-mouth disease. While already the £950.000 rebuild in 1990 was funded by the HLF and also the EU?

=> I'm asking myself, what have these people really contributed to think they own it all - and all for free? Someone please tell me. Somehow some people in the UK have completely lost any sort of common sense. You can be lucky the UK islands sit on solid ground, otherwise I'd fear someone would pull the plug, expecting the rest of the world would sink.
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Good point made there Jags.
Over the years we have been hounded by people asking why the rebuild is taking so long. When invited to come along and get their hands dirty to speed up the process they went strangely silent but still expect us to soldier on and present them with a boat to look at locked away in a museum. We have never expected any payment in return for our years of devotion so our work and devotion will come free of charge. but a small compromise wouldn't be too much to ask in return. That compromise being we get to keep her alive.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Crazy, isn't it. We've worked all this time on the understanding that we were going to have a proving trial and then display the boat while we take good care of it and look after future maintenance, running, etc. That was always the deal so soon as that's signed off in whatever form it finally takes we can get the boat tip top, back on the water then display later in the year pending the proving trial. I'm working hard to get it back on track. I just hope everyone pulls together before it gets messy. The media will have a field day with this if it does. Wish me luck!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Obviously good luck from me and my side. If anyone can do it i am sure your the man. I am not a fan of messy press so hope we can avoid that.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

It just doesn't sound fair to me, and I can't stand unfairness. It makes me really mad.

As I said earlier, I had thrown their parts at their feet long ago and would have started to rebuild the missing parts from scratch.

I know you have spent hundreds or maybe thousands of hours to straighten those mangled sheets, you've put your love into every little detail, its been crazy how small holes have been filled, but the mystery of K7, as she ran on Bute, does not lie in the original parts - nobody can tell from more than 10 feet anyway - the mystery lies in seeing her run, roar and throwing water high in the air. That's what fascinates people, from young to old. Its less knowing that most parts of the boat are original. I mean, yes, it does count a bit, but if I had to decide to either keep all the original parts, but have the whole thing stored away forever - or - run K7 without the parts that belong to the Ruskin, then I'd give a heck and run her without. I'm sure you even got some original parts that do not belong to the Ruskin as they were not recovered in 2001, so there would still be some parts original.

The people behind the Ruskin need to understand that the Bluebird events will be held with or without them - they are not in control. All they can do is to make it harder for the BBP team by not letting you use the parts you have recovered and you have restored, but whatever they do, the story will not end as they want, that is having K7, as she is today, sitting dead in the foot and mouth disease wing forever. If they don't cooperate, then they will only have some bits and pieces to show.

Joerg