Bluebird Runs 2019

polo

Re: Bluebird Runs 2019

Post by polo »

K777 is alive and well and under wraps for the time being. As stated earlier she had problems with the intake which was too small and as was found out later the Orph wasn't delivering the power is should due to lack of air and minor mechanical glitches.

Due to the reception the Morris family received, they were /are reluctant to go back into the field of running her until K7 has done what needs to be done, they have no wish repeat the problems they received. They have absolutely no wish to detract from the K7 project or compete with it in any way. 777 is not on display anywhere, she is in sheds near Wharton.
At the present time I believe the Morris family are developing a car for the American market and as a result have no time to put into 777.
The connection between Longbow and 777 is Dave Aldred. Dave was 'in charge' of the project until about late 2017 [don't pin me down to accuracy on that], Unfortunately Dave left the project due to disagreements, he left the 'Endeavour' project at a similar time and set up 'Longbow' shortly after.
For those who don't know, I have worked with Jim Noone on several projects including Miss Windermere 6 which finally achieved 152mph before going into the science and industry museum in Manchester. I have contact with Jim at powerboat races and he keeps me updated as to what is going on. Jim has promised to be in touch with me if there is any movement in the project.
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

polo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:44 pm Due to the reception the Morris family received, they were /are reluctant to go back into the field of running her until K7 has done what needs to be done, they have no wish repeat the problems they received. They have absolutely no wish to detract from the K7 project or compete with it in any way. I have contact with Jim at powerboat races and he keeps me updated as to what is going on. Jim has promised to be in touch with me if there is any movement in the project.
With K777 being a water speed record contender, eligible for Speed Records Week and K7 being rebuilt as it was on the morning of the 4th January 1967 and not eligible to run in November, I cannot see that the BBP would have or would ever give the Morris family any "problems".

A lack of Coniston Speed Records Week due to the Byelaw wording changes that are needed, may be the reason.

My personal thoughts and not those of the BBP.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
polo

Post by polo »

Malcolm, I am sorry if I did not make it clear. BBP was not to my knowledge, involved in any way with what occurred. All I know is that the Morris family were subject to unfounded sustained abuse from several quarters and were very upset at this. I witnessed it!
polo

Post by polo »

I know its nothing to do with Bluebird runs 2019 but this is an addendum to a post earlier.
During the last week I have been contacted by Dave Aldred and Tony Fahey with news of their projects.
Following my previous recent post in the forum mentioning Dave Aldred and Longbow Dave was prompted to get in touch with me for an online catch up. As a result of those chats and clarification of rumour I can report that actually Dave didn't leave K777 in 2017 due to disagreements. It was just that K777 was mothballed by Helical in 2012 and with Charles stating to him in the light of their experience with K777 they had decided not pursue a credible challenge on the Outright WWSR and the K777 website therefore being taken down, Dave and some of those who had helped build K777 simply moved on to their next jet hydroplane project. Dave has communicated with Helical / the Morris family since 2012 and remains available to them should they decide to undertake further development work on the craft and run it once more.
Moving to a new jet hydroplane build after K777 that project initially commenced under the name of K10 Endeavour in 2013 but despite a great deal of enthusiasm from the team, the venture stalled due to lack of suitable fast jet military engines being available at that time.
When suitable engines were sourced by Dave three years later in 2016 The design and build was re-commenced with the nominated driver being military pilot Lt David-John Gibbs RN (DJ), under the new name for the craft of Longbow with Dave leading the project and as we can see by the monthly updates that he writes, now making great progress and doing a fine job of building the craft.

Tony Fahey got in touch and we had a socially distanced coffee without the coffee [it never turned up!] He told me his new craft would be under construction very shortly and would be on the water in the UK in summer 2021 covid willing!. He intends to make an attempt on a couple of speed records. I am being very circumspect with the information I give but I expect everyone will be surprised by the craft. I am told it is a design that no one has used before. Don't ask, I'm saying no more. I am not involved.